Superchips 4862 tuner question

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Superchips 4862 tuner question

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:56 pm

I picked up a Superchips 4862 Flashpaq tuner for my 2006 LE. I updated the firmware and installed the 91 Octane performance tune. I raised the rev limiter and speed limiter, but couldn't figure out where to disable the WOT restriction. It wasn't listed with the limiter options and the tuner shows the WOT restriction status as "ENABLED." Is this feature only available under certain tunes or am I missing something? Otherwise, all went smooth!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Well, I E-mailed Superchips' tech support and they didn't answer. I called tech support and they never answered the first time. The second time, just as I was about ready to hang up, I actually got someone to pick up the phone! Basically, after talking to tech support and reading a number of posts, it seems the WOT restriction can be disabled on some and not on others and there's no way of telling which you'll get until you install the Superchips on your vehicle. Tech support said there was a paper on it a while back, but he couldn't find it. He kind of gave me two different answers during out discussion. First he said that if WOT restriction wasn't listed under the advanced settings, the vehicle didn't have it. However, despite mine not having the WOT feature in the advanced settings, elsewhere in the vehicle information it did have "WOT: enabled." Later, he said that if it's not listed under the advanced settings, the tuner is unable to turn "off" the WOT restriction in my particular vehicle.
In other Nissan truck forums (Xterra, Frontier, Titan), it also seems to be pretty hit or miss. One poster did mention if you remove the ABS fuse, it turns off the WOT restriction, of course, that also disables ABS.
FYI, for those that do not know what the WOT (wide open throttle) restriction does, it limits the throttle's opening to about 66% when you have the gas pedal fully depressed up to about 40MPH, at which point the WOT restriction is disabled. There is speculation as to whether this is done for fuel mileage or to prevent wear and tear on the drivetrain to maybe a little of both.
That said, I'm running the 93 Octane tune with a 2-degree timing advance and the rev limiter and top speed limiter increased. I'm real happy with the performance and sound of the vehicle after the changes I made to the intake and exhaust. As far as turning off the WOT restriction, I guess I'm out of luck!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:47 pm

I never got a straight answer from them on this either. When I first got my superchips, I disabled the WOT restriction and it made big difference in performance. However, after a few updates, the selection to disable disappeared. They gave some bullshit excuse that 4x4 vehicles already had it disabled, but i never believed them. I wish I had gone Bullydog.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:18 am

Yeah, first he said if it wasn't listed that my vehicle didn't have the restriction, but then I mentioned that it listed the tuner listed the WOT restriction as "enabled," but there was no place in the advance setting to turn it off. All the advanced settings list is the rev limiter and speed limiter.

Return to “R51 General Chat”