No crank issue!

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Watson

No crank issue!

Postby Watson » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time member/poster.

I've had a good look though pretty much the entire forum and can't seem to find any info that is beneficial to my particular problem! I have a 2012 auto Pathy, and up until now, has been a great car.

A few days ago, I decided to check the operation of the lights on my trailer as I knew they were sketchy at best. After narrowing it down to a dodgy harness lead between the car and trailer, I called it a night while I made up a new harness (attaches to the trailer plug on car, and female receiver on trailer). This is not before I pull every fuse in the car to make sure none of them are blown, and preventing output to the trailer plug itself.

I go to work the next day, and get a call from the wife saying the car won't start. I go and have a look, check all fuses etc again. Nothing there, but I do notice the dash lights are a bit glitchy like it has a flat battery. Battery on charge for a good three hours, and everything seems quite normal, although, engine won't crank. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, try again, no dice.

To describe adequately what actually happens, you can jump in the car and go to start it as normal, but, when held in the start position, nothing happens, almost exactly like the car is still in drive (or, not neutral or park). Relays etc can be heard, but the starter does not crank the engine at all.

I pulled up the codes as best I could, but for the life of me, I can't decipher them. I get 13 long flashes, then 3 x 10 short flashes before it repeats itself. I also tried to clear this code unsuccessfully.

As of now, the car is still sitting here in the driveway where I parked it!

I did notice that when the ignition is switched on, the dash lights momentarily show the 4wd/wheel layout picture as 4wd low, and then disappears. I also do not get any indication of the selected gear. I'm not sure if this actually shows normally when in the on position as for the life of me I just can't remember. Finally, when the ignition is on, and in reverse, no reverse lights come on. I only mention this as another thread I read described a similar situation where the reverse lights would not work after playing around with the trailer plug, and the car also wouldn't start.

It would appear as though the starter relay isn't working at first, but at this stage, I'm kind of lost!

Would any of you guys have any ideas on this? While I would usually take this to a Nissan dealer, it's parked in the driveway, just out of extended warranty, and the closest dealer is well over an hour away!

Here's a vid of the fault code, but it doesn't seem to match up to anything, especially the 13 slow flashes at the start?

https://youtu.be/Bl6dL_6uniw

And here is a vid of what happens when you try to start the car, or, leave it for 15 seconds. You'll notice the dash lights change, and glitch. I also don't notice any sounds coming from the fuel pump, which I'm sure used to be there previously?

https://youtu.be/3rsmYSI5A0U

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Leigh

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:45 pm

No idea if your problem is deeper, but start simple first. 2 things come to mind. Click unlock on your key fob to make sure the anti-theft isn't causing a problem.

Second, take the shifter and while the key is in the on position, move it from park to drive and back. Sometimes the actuator for the park lock gets stuck.

Other than that, I'd get a code reader or an elm adapter go see what the actual codes are.

Is it a diesel?

Watson

Postby Watson » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yep, used the key fob to check security, and it locks, and unlocks fine and security works as normal.

Also, tried the shifter position, and still the same. It's almost like it's the shifter lockout switch causing the problem, like it was still in gear, but the erratic dash lights don't make any sense.

Yes, its a diesel.

Thanks.

Watson

Postby Watson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:38 am

For anyone interested, I think I have found the problem.

It appears to be the neutral safety switch. I wired in a temporary 30 amp fuse between the white and grey wires on the large white plug on the IPDM module.

This fuse does essentially what the neutral lockout switch does, although in a rather ghetto fashion.

Car starts and runs fine. The problem is that I have no indication of selected gear, and the car will start, or at least attempt to start, in any gear.

It's a temp fix, but one that works while I fix the car.

Here's where I found it...

http://www.nissanforums.com/pathfinder/ ... witch.html

Watson

Postby Watson » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:01 pm

So, while I can drive the car, I'm a bit reluctant to do so.

I managed to pull some codes.

U1000
P1807 Vehicle Speed Sensor A/T
P1819 Shift Actuator Circuit
P1832 TCS Operation Signal
P1831 VDC Operation Signal

Would these relate to the TCM? I have it removed from the car and am about to test a few things, but wondering if it may be something else?

Cheers.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:00 pm

Well, codes are related to the auto trans and abs systems...with a CAN communication code.

Return to “R51 General Chat”