Towing big with the Path

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Burt

Well worth the $80.00

Postby Burt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:24 am

I installed the AirLift system after reading Carl’s reviews and trials. It made a big difference in body roll but most importantly balanced the suspension front to back as the back end seemed to have much more roll than front end dive causing a squirrelly feel in the corners.
I hauled with a trailer attached this weekend and there was also a big bonus in towing. While towing I had them at 20 PSI.
Without the trailer I reduced the pressure little by little to 12 to 14psi before I started to feel the benefits go away. I called customer support to see what effects it would have running with a constant 15 to 20. They said that there would be no adverse effects on durability at those pressures. So I think we can run them at anything above 5PSI without wearing them out. I’m going to run them at 15 PSI. I do plan to inspect them before each tow and at each oil change.

Burt

SilverGhost

Airlift Question

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:36 am

I'd like to add this setup to my '06 LE, but Airlift's catalog says there's no application for my 2WD version of the Pathy. Any thoughts on why the 4WD application, #60810, wouldn't work on my 2-wheeler? I suppose the rear springs could be slightly different between the two versions, but that's just my uninformed guess.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:54 am

Off the top of my head I'd say that the application "should" be the same and I highly recommend it. The springs in the North American models (IMO) are crap and the moment you tow anything you'll notice some sag and eventually increased body roll.

On another note I've been running mine at 15psi (for daily driving) and noticed that my front end feels a just a little looser, anyone have a similar experience?

bender031

Postby bender031 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:21 am

Fo- can you describe how the front end feels looser? on bumps, in turns, etc...? I have the kit waiting to be installed real soon and would like to know what i might experience. I plan on running mine with partial fill for daily driving as i do not tow much.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:18 pm

Fofiddy wrote:Off the top of my head I'd say that the application "should" be the same and I highly recommend it.
I checked with my Parts Dept yesterday, and they confirmed that the 2WD and 4WD versions take different rear springs. They couldn't, however, tell me what the difference might be, other than $2.00 more money for the 4WD.

Quote from an AirLift tech re. the 4WD kit:
"This bag is 4.9 inches in diameter by 9 inches tall. As long as the inside diameter of your coil is no smaller than 4.9 inches and no greater than 5.25, and the length from top to bottom is at least 9.5 inches then this kit should work fine."

Guess I'll have to crawl under it with my trusty tape measure!

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:51 pm

Guess us 2-wheelers are SOL as far as the air bags are concerned. Following are exerpts from my email exchange with AirLift -

"I'm beginning to think I can't use this kit. The inside diameter of the spring is 5.25 inches, so I'm okay there. But as closely as I can measure, it's only 9.25 inches between the upper and lower rubber bump stops. I'm guessing that you require 1/2 inch more than the length of the bag to compensate for the thickness of the protector, correct?

I suppose 4WD Pathfinders have a slightly longer spring, because according to Nissan's specs, the 4WD truck stands 0.4 inches taller than the 2WD model. In fact, I confirmed with my dealer's Parts Dept that they do require different springs. They just weren't able to tell me what the difference was.

After reading AirLift's warranty, even if I were able to make the kit work, I would have no warranty because it would be an "un-cataloged application."

AirLift's response -
"Since you only have 9.25 inches in your coil you would want to use one of our smaller bags. We have one that is 4.9 x 8 that should work fine. It’s kit number 60792 which fits a 2003-2005 Kia Sorento if anyone asks.

We could be a little lenient on the warranty for the bags. If you have the bags for only a few weeks and the seal is starting to leak then we should be able to take care of it."

An 8-inch bag for a 9.25 spring length sounds a little iffy to me. Guess I'll pass until they come up with a dedicated application. If anyone else decides to try the Kia kit, please post your results.

Gouda

towing

Postby Gouda » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:08 pm

Hi. I know this thread hasn't been active for a while, but it is really helpful. I have a 06 and need to add the 7 pin harmess, relay and cable for the brake controller. I'm wondering if installing these bits is straightforward so I can do it or am I better off having a dealer do it? Any advice would be appreciated.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:12 pm

Installing them is super easy. There's already the connectors right there under the rear end to disconnect the 4-pin plug and attach the 7-pin plug.

Same goes for the brake controller wire, the plug is already there under the dash, so you're just plugging in a connector with a few labeled wires which you then need to connect to your brake controller.

Don't forget the towing relay in the engine bay too, need that to power up the brake controller.

frrussre

2007 Pathfinder SE installing Brake Controller etc

Postby frrussre » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:29 pm

I have just bought a 2007 Pathfinder SE 4 x 4. I am looking into changing the 4 pin hitch harness to a 7 pin & adding the break controller.
When I look under the front driver side for the connector, there is one to the left (Near foot brake) & 3 on the right. The connector I have on the L, does not look correct or has it changed on the 2007?
Also when I look under the back end, the cable from the 4 pin, connects to a 6 pin (female), tied to the side is a 2 pin (female) unused. Not sure what that is for.
Any help please.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. I have photos, not sure how to add them?

vwpower

Postby vwpower » Mon May 07, 2007 9:57 am

I need to upgrade to a five pin harness for my boat should I just use a 4 to 5 adapter or get the seven pin and then get the 7 to 5 adapter?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:27 pm

I say upgrade your setup to the 7 pin then get a backwards adapter. Laying out more $$$ but then if you ever need to tow something that has brakes you just pop on a controller and your set.

I tow more flat four trailers than anything and I upgraded to the 7pin just in-case. I have used a trailer with brakes 1 time but having that option is worth it to me.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Tue May 08, 2007 10:14 am

I have some pictures of the 7 pin conversion I did... See below in my signature... The plug for the brake controller is to the right of the steering wheel... The 7 pin is a plug and play also......... Triffid

thejean

Postby thejean » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:59 pm

Excuse me if this is a noob question. I am very new to the towing game but I bought a 2008 V8 Pathfinder with the intent to tow a rally car. I am about to pull the trigger on the Air Lift kit 1000 and I will also likely buy the weight distributing and anti-sway hitch from Draw-Tite. But, I want to know if the brake controller and 7-pin connectors are necessary? I guess the connector depends on your trailer but what about the brake controller?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:23 pm

Have to have something to feed the electric brakes juice, it can't tap into the brake light line with a simple relay.

thejean

Postby thejean » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:30 am

RacerZX wrote:Have to have something to feed the electric brakes juice, it can't tap into the brake light line with a simple relay.
Oh, you mean the brakes on the trailer itself? I never thought of that. I thought you were referring to a brake enhancement on the truck to enhance braking performance when towing. Now it is beginning to make sense. Funny how I know how to rebuild an engine but don't even know the basics of towing. Haha! Thanks, JC

Return to “R51 General Chat”