Stepping up to the PF... Maybe

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Frogger

Stepping up to the PF... Maybe

Postby Frogger » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Ready to move up to a 2010-2012 PF (le or silver edition). Currently i've got a 2006 murano slawd with 150k. I was originally going to move to a f150 v6 w/ ecoboost but to get all the bells and whisltes its 8-10k more than i can do a used PF for. Having to run premium grade (i run mid now) kind of erks me and the fact the tank is the same size as the MO. Has anyone here jumped from the murano to the PF? Any regrets?

Im about 90% on moving to the PF so im just waiting on a right model and deal to show up. Going to eventually pulling a 3000-4000lb pressure washing rig on the weekends for a side job soon, hopefully. This is a great site and has answered a lot of my questions so far!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Premium is not required, just recommended for max performance. I've run a quality regular fuel without any issues for almost 100k miles. The only time I run premium is if I'm towing. I've never noticed a change in mpg and the performance difference is only noticeable under WOT. Somewhere flat like FL....doubtful it will make a huge difference for you even while towing.

F150 with Ecoboost is a nice rig though. I've bought a few for my company fleet and they've done a decent job so far. Price gets nutso though with a lot of options...I've just been buying basic XLT 4x4 supers for around $31k and that's a good deal. $10k more for some options....no longer a good deal.

Regarding the biz...I will say sometimes it's very handy to have a truck. You don't want to HAVE to take that trailer with you everywhere you go....say you need to drop a pump off during the week or need to take a bunch of hoses for repair....or grab several 5-gallon jugs of chemical....that stuff will junk up a PF real quick. I used to own a pressure washing biz.... :lol:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:51 pm

I agree with the previous comment. The premium fuel is only needed when towing. I've used regular just fine in my V8 pathfinder. When I remember that I'm going to tow, I usually step up to the premium just to be on the safe side for power.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 pm

I moved from a Murano SE AWD to the Pathfinder...really depends on what you use it for. The Murano was *fantastic* for shipping 4 people around comfortably, nice tall AWD sport wagon of a machine. The Pathfinder has a more cramped back seat to make room for a 3rd row, but when you need the 3rd row you're glad you have it. The Pathfinder handles on the road a bit worse, off the road a lot better, a bit worse MPG and similar acceleration (in V6 form). While the Murano had the new-fangled (for then) CVT transmission, our Pathfinders have certainly had their own transmission teething issues too... :roll:

Frogger

Postby Frogger » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks, i really appreciate the insight! Dissappointing to hear the murano and pf have similar acceleration... Ya'll have definitely given me some more to think about before writing the check on a used pf

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:50 am

Frogger wrote:Thanks, i really appreciate the insight! Dissappointing to hear the murano and pf have similar acceleration... Ya'll have definitely given me some more to think about before writing the check on a used pf
I think you'll find off the line, the PF is quicker than the Murano (about .5 seconds quicker to 30 according to C&D) but then by 60 they're a dead heat. Both are on the quicker side for SUV's though so nothing disappointing IMHO. The V6 PF is quicker than most of the competition out there for SUV's (as is the Murano) and keeps up or betters some of the V8 SUV's as well. You generally have to step-up to a luxury brand to break the 7 second mark on 0-60. My wife has an MDX which is sub 6 seconds according to C&D but honestly it doesn't feel that fast. With the sloppy 6-speed transmission you have to mash the pedal to get it to go. I prefer my PF.

Starbux

Postby Starbux » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:45 pm

I loved my F150 when I had it before my 370z. It was a 2010 5.4 v8 xlt supercrew. Great trucks shitty gas ... even ecoboost will get you around what the path gets us.

Return to “R51 General Chat”