New here and thinking about an R51

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

telemike

Postby telemike » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:23 am

I'm sure the V6 is good enough for my needs. Though from reading here and if I had he cash, I'd get a v8 SE, 5" calmini lift, armada 3.36 diffs, etc.

Basically, if the need arises where I need someting to tow an rv trailer a few times a year I'll choose between Pathfinder R51, Armada, Jeep Commander or Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel.

The downside I see to the R51 is lack of wheel travel for offroad

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:28 am

telemike wrote:I'm sure the V6 is good enough for my needs. Though from reading here and if I had he cash, I'd get a v8 SE, 5" calmini lift, armada 3.36 diffs, etc.

Basically, if the need arises where I need someting to tow an rv trailer a few times a year I'll choose between Pathfinder R51, Armada, Jeep Commander or Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel.

The downside I see to the R51 is lack of wheel travel for offroad
Also, it's only 1k in towing capacity difference between the V6 & V8. (6-7k).

Armada and Pathfinders both would have a lack of wheel travel, the JGC in its current model state would though not as much too, but it's got Quaratrac so that would be a plus, and a diesel is always good for towing.

I do not know much about the commander.

telemike

Postby telemike » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:19 am

I know the Pathfinder is no Jeep Rubicon, but how does it do in ligth offroading? Does the rear IRS limit capabilities?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:37 am

I guess it depends on your definition of 'light'. :)

I have done what I consider light to medium off roading, and it performed admirably, considering it also has decent manners on the highway. Some have disconnected front sway bar links to increase travel on the front suspension. I've never done that.

We get decent amounts of snow around here, in those conditions, I've never driven something more capable.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:14 am

telemike wrote:I know the Pathfinder is no Jeep Rubicon, but how does it do in ligth offroading? Does the rear IRS limit capabilities?
The rear and the front, but I've only had a few problems off road with it and they all related to the lack of good travel. A couple different approaches in 4Lo fixed that. It won't have the articulation of a Jeep, but I've been on roads where the only other vehicles were lifted Jeeps & received all kinds of stares and praise in the process. I think it does great off road until you get into those situations with large rocks or whatever that end up challenging the articulation.

Return to “R51 General Chat”