Air Lift 1000 or Firestone?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Air Lift 1000 or Firestone?

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:50 am

Want to install rear suspension helpers on the 05 PF.

I have seen references to both Airlift (ebay) and Firestone. Seems there is a $1-200 cost difference (Firestone=more).

Any recommendations either way? Is one heavier than the other? How are the failure rates?

marvmmarv

Postby marvmmarv » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:48 pm

I went with the Firestone Air Rite for my 07 2WD because others here have complained about the AirLifts losing air at the hose connections, also because the Air Rite product is specified for both 2WD and 4WD.

After almost one year, everything is perfect. They work great to firm up the rear and they hold the air pressure settings indefinitely.

The price was around $80 (US) at truckspring.com.

Marv

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:09 pm

I have the Airlift 1000. I've had no issues and it leaks no air at all. It's also about $80.

SilverGhost

Re: Air Lift 1000 or Firestone?

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:11 pm

disallow wrote:Want to install rear suspension helpers on the 05 PF.

I have seen references to both Airlift (ebay) and Firestone. Seems there is a $1-200 cost difference (Firestone=more).

Any recommendations either way? Is one heavier than the other? How are the failure rates?
When I get around to doing it, I'm going with the Firestone for two reasons. One, for the 2WD application and, two, because the kit price, without installation, is only $5-$10 more. The $200 difference you mentioned is clearly an installed price.

markspath

Postby markspath » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:35 pm

I have the AirLift 1000 kit on my '07 SE and do not recommend that company. It went in fairly easy, but the spring clamps to secure the hoses were a little difficult to get in place on the top of the bags due to tight clearance. But that's not my beef with AirLift.

Without getting into a long story, while I was on my cross-country trip, I blew-out a bag when I forgot to check the air pressure while crossing the Rocky Mountains (the AirLift instructions don't warn you that increases in altitude and temperature will cause the air pressure to increase, but I know that and should have thought of it). After several days of searching local stores and shops to no avail, I order a complete replacement kit from AutoAnything (where I originally purchased the kit) and paid extra for overnight shipping to my campsite in Moab, where I was staying for 5 days.

AutoAnything (like everyone else, I discovered) doesn't stock these kits because there's so many different versions, but ordered them from AirLift to drop-ship to me overnight. AirLift screwed-up the order four times, failed to answer their phones, failed to return messages (to both me and AutoAnything), and in every way imaginable were incompetent and uncaring. Thanks only to the perseverance of the AutoAnything customer service person, AutoAnything was able to redirect the shipment from Moab to Estes Park, CO, and I finally got the kit 2 days later -- almost two weeks from placing my order. And I know this was not AutoAnything's fault, because they were on the phone with me several times a day trying to resolve the problem.

FWIW, I also tried to find the Firestone Ride-Rite kit locally in and around Salt Lake City, and nobody stocks them, either. In fact, Firestone Service Centers generally don't carry or even know about this product, which is marketed through a different division of Firestone. From what I've read, the Firestone kit has superior hose connections and clamps, but has a lower maximum PSI rating. I don't know if the PSI rating make a difference or not.

But whichever kit you get, make sure that you consider increases in temperature and/or altitude and check the air pressure frequently when these increase. :wink:

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:02 am

I have the Airlift 1000 and still really happy with it after about a year or so. I've never had any leak problems, and the pressure is always right where I left it...I think I've only added air once since installation. I can't speak at all for the Firestone kit, but I'd recommend the Airlift bags any day.

marvmmarv

Postby marvmmarv » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:16 pm

[quote="MARKSPATH"] FWIW, I also tried to find the Firestone Ride-Rite kit locally in and around Salt Lake City, and nobody stocks them, either. [/quote

Mark,
As far as stocking these things, they are a low-volume seller, and have so many different part numbers, that I doubt if anyone stocks them. I waited about two months for my Air-Rites to be shipped from Firestone. I think they just let the orders stack up and then build them in batches.

The Firestones have a max of 25 psi. At 22 psi, my PF sits level with approx 400 lb tongue weight on it. I have no reason to go to 25. I think the AirLifts have a max of 30 but the PF doesn't seem to need the extra 5 psi for weight carrying capacity.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”