Secure interior storage

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

rlh2005

Secure interior storage

Postby rlh2005 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:25 pm

I have a need for secure, lockable storage in my 2006 Pathfinder SE. Unfortunately, the glove box is not secure enough for my needs or piece of mind. The second row, under-seat compartment is impractical as is the cargo area. The ideal solution should be easy to operate. I really don't want to spend a lot of time messing with the solution to use it. The longer you spend on it, the more time that a potential onlooker can become interested, which can be a bad thing.

I would prefer something like this. It mounts inside the factory center console, apparently to the factory floor bolts. Unfortunately, no one seems to make one for the Pathy. Given the depth of the Pathy's center console, someone should be able to make one that fits and leaves some unsecured space above for casual storage.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

AZRoushStang

Postby AZRoushStang » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:06 pm

Try a body gaurd with a gun standing outside your lock Pathy????

Sorry that is all I have....

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:50 am

To have an ideal solution it would help to know what you are trying to secure.

The two things I can think of wanting this for are cash or a gun.

For cash, I wouldn't leave it in the car at all, too easy to take the whole truck and insurance will only replace a small amount, I'm thinking like $200, of cash in a car.

For a gun -- I just keep mine in the glove box. I bought a cheaper gun for a car gun because it will be exposed to a lot of heat change and potential condensation. Every time I go to the range, I take my car gun and burn the clip that is in it, clean it, and rotate in a new mag of ammo.

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:07 am

The bodyguard route leads to paparatzi and I don't need my ugly mug in the next tabloid. Plus, I'd have to bling out the Pathy and I'm not a bling kinda guy.

My primary purpose is to store a legally possessed handgun but could also be for digital cameras, cell phone, etc. It wouldn't be for permanent or long term storage of the gun. Locking gloveboxes are nice but are easily defeated by someone that has already broken into the car.

I want minimize the possibility of my handgun being stolen when I have to disarm -- places with "no firearms" signs posted or when I don't feel like open carrying at restaurants with an ABC license. Virginia law requires you to OC at a restaurant with an ABC license -- so you must OC at Outback, Ruby Tuesday's, etc.

Thanks.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:12 am

I would definitely keep it locked up while going out. Although going into Outback John Wayne style would be pretty cool. Definitely get some looks. Why don't you look for a small wall safe and have somebody weld a couple bolts on the back to mount to the floor. That's the only thing I can think of right now. You might find one that will fit in a gutted center console.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:25 pm

I was thinking that a small drawer under the seat would be a good solution, being convenient and easy to reach from the drivers seat. I Googled 'drawer safe' and came up with mostly small safes with lids, intended to be mounted inside a drawer. However, here's a small box that might possibly bolt under the seat, or somewhere else on the floor.

http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog/pr ... pid=185117

There were also some locking cash drawers, like on cash registers, which might also fit under the seat.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:27 am

I think that in the case of installing something in a car, your best option is stealth rather then strength. Maybe just a false bottom for your center consol?

If it's a smash and window and grab your stuff type of robbery, they are going to take what they can easily see as desirable.

If they are going to really go in depth, they will take the whole truck.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:24 pm

If you could build a metal locking cover on the storage bin under the middle row seats.. That would be a good place to hide things , a bit more work to get to , but not to bad ...

PathfinderGuy

Postby PathfinderGuy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:21 am

NAKA24DE wrote:If you could build a metal locking cover on the storage bin under the middle row seats.. That would be a good place to hide things , a bit more work to get to , but not to bad ...

i think he is trying to have the security, over moving around the cab to draw attention. i was going to suggest the same.

i know "if we all think like a theif" we would look through all the glove boxes, center console, and the upper console by the rear view mirror....hell my old car was broken into and they even stold the damn pennies that i had in the ash tray. i would look under seats and storage bins in the doors. and if i had a little more than 30 seconds " wich is less time than it takes to steal the car itself", i would go through the back part of the cab also.

in my own opinion ...i would remove the drivers seat and weld or bolt a small desk lockbox. large enough for certain amounts of cach and a compact or sub compact handgun and an extra magazine.

wel all know despite our best efforts, "where theres the will, there is a way" and that works on both sides of the spectrum being the car owner or the theif.

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:29 am

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

As stated, I don't want to draw attention to myself by moving (inside or out) around the vehicle. My goal is to prevent a handgun and, maybe, some other small items from being stolen in what I think is a typical parking lot break-in. To me, the typical is a low grade hoodlum stealing CDs, loose money, and other stuff in under a minute.

I don't intend to leave the possessions in the lockbox overnight or in bad places. I just want to reasonably prevent my firearm from falling into the wrong hands. Obviously, all security can be defeated with time and opportunity. I just want to make it less of a target of opportunity.

The obvious rules apply:
- park in well lit areas
- park where there are security cameras or regular patrols,
- don't advertise your possessions -- don't put stickers/decals on the windows or bumper for pricey A/V equipment, your million $$ diamond collection, NRA, etc
- use concealment, blankets, cargo covers to hid stuff from common observation

Also, if I wanted high level security, I'd buy a Brinks truck or APC.

hshottower

Postby hshottower » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:40 pm

I got one of these for christmas, have not yet mounted it in the LE. I like the fact that I dont need a key or batteries to use it.http://www.vlineind.com/html/hide-away.html.. hope this helps you. :D

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm

Bring it back from the dead. Someone PM'd me to see if I found a solution so I figured I'd let everyone know.

I already had a lockbox from Center of Mass. It was well recommended as a inexpensive, universal solution. on several firearms forums. I know several people that have purchased one since I purchased mine and they all speak equally well of it.

The lockbox is easy to use and fairly stout. The security cable wouldn't take much to cut with bolt or large cutters. I haven't looked into bolting it to the floor since it would be harder to use and remain inconspicuous. It sits nicely under the drivers seat and doesn't move around. Unless you have the driver's seat all the way forward, it's not visible from the 2nd row.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”