LT type tires

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

LT type tires

Postby Gray » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Just wondering if any have put LT type D or E rated tires on ther PF. Some of my offroad work is over 100's of miles of pit run type gravel trails and I've torn up a couple of P rated tires from tire bruising and belt separation on large road rocks recently. Local tire shops in these areas recommend Michelin or Bridgestone 8 to 10 ply LTs which have 3 steel belts, but there will be a downside in terms of wear of steering components, shocks, etc by running stiffer tires even with 40 - 50 psi pressures. LT C rated 6 ply equivalant tires are even considered minimal equipment for these types of roads. :roll:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: LT type tires

Postby NVSteve » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:42 am

Greybrick wrote:Just wondering if any have put LT type D or E rated tires on ther PF. Some of my offroad work is over 100's of miles of pit run type gravel trails and I've torn up a couple of P rated tires from tire bruising and belt separation on large road rocks recently. Local tire shops in these areas recommend Michelin or Bridgestone 8 to 10 ply LTs which have 3 steel belts, but there will be a downside in terms of wear of steering components, shocks, etc by running stiffer tires even with 40 - 50 psi pressures. LT C rated 6 ply equivalant tires are even considered minimal equipment for these types of roads. :roll:

I'm running Revos in a D rating. It is a bit stiffer & bouncier day to day compared to passenger tires. All I can say is that I'm very glad I went with them. I ran through some lengthy sections of tire killing material over the last 5 days that would have pulverized passenger tires. I'll gladly take the stiffer ride if it means I will be able to go from point A to point B without shredding a tire. I've had mild lifts on a few other vehicles (along with LT tires), just as I have now with the PF, and the only premature wear I've ever encountered was with a U joint failing every couple of years on a full size GMC. That was a 3" lift, which must have skewed the drive line angle into the red. The only thing I've had to do a few times with the D rated tires, while off road, is that I've had to lower the air pressure a bit on some of the more severe washboardy roads.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks Steve, from some web searches showing everything from Suzukis, FJs and Range Rovers running 235/85s 10 plys and your endorsement I've convinced myself to go to the 235/85R-16's for an offroad setup on black rims for this winters work. Michelin has some good prices on the LTX MS tires and good local availability from both Costco and Canadian Tire stores. The LTX MS isn't really an offroad rated tire but has lots of ice sipes which is the other requirement for driving the winter trails and highways here. Photos to follow. :)

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”