Caterpillar batteries

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Caterpillar batteries

Postby Gray » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:42 pm

Just wondering if any have looked into using a Caterpillar battery in the PF or have used them in other applications and how they stand up to severe service. Thanks.

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/192183/7/PEHJ0073.pdf

For any who haven't measured their battery yet the PF factory battery is 10.25" long x 7" wide by 9" high including the .75" posts.

Npath

Re: Caterpillar batteries

Postby Npath » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:59 pm

Greybrick wrote:Just wondering if any have looked into using a Caterpillar battery in the PF or have used them in other applications and how they stand up to severe service. Thanks.

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/192183/7/PEHJ0073.pdf

For any who haven't measured their battery yet the PF factory battery is 10.25" long x 7" wide by 9" high including the .75" posts.

What I've been told about car batteries is too high cold crank amps isn't good, if the battery is small. It'll drain faster and will need to be replaced within a few years.

Greybrick, you live in Winterpeg, correct? Perhaps a high CCA for winter and lower CCA for the other 3 seasons would be better in your environmental conditions.

Gray

Re: Caterpillar batteries

Postby Gray » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:07 pm

Npath wrote: Greybrick, you live in Winterpeg, correct? Perhaps a high CCA for winter and lower CCA for the other 3 seasons would be better in your environmental conditions.
Calgary, but some of my work is close to the Territories border so think Winterpeg x 10. :wink:

Good thought on using two types of batteries, I'll look into it, thanks.

2008PatherfinderS

Postby 2008PatherfinderS » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:23 pm

Those CAT batteries are for industrial and commerical use. I don't think any of them wold fit the Pathy wihtout modifying the tray and hold down. For example the gropu 31 batteries they show are huge and are used in many diesel 18 wheeler applications.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:05 pm

2008PatherfinderS wrote:Those CAT batteries are for industrial and commerical use. I don't think any of them wold fit the Pathy wihtout modifying the tray and hold down. For example the gropu 31 batteries they show are huge and are used in many diesel 18 wheeler applications.
Caterpillar makes some big batteries for sure but on page 111 of this Cat battery catalogue Nissan Pathfinders up to 2003 are also listed. Unfortunately to use the Cat Premium High Output 'PHO' 153-5656 battery one needs to install positive and negative cable extensions as the poles on the battery top are the reverse of what are on the 05+ PFs, which is OK because the negative factory post clamp on our trucks is crap and the positive clamp isn't much better.

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/90229/7/PEGP7801_05.pdf

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:55 pm

The local Caterpillar dealership brought in both batteries so that I could chose between the two. The 3T-5858 general purpose 650 CCA battery looked good, with a heavy duty case same as the Cat PHO 153-5656 650 CCA and as I don't have time to get cable extensions just now I went with the plug and play 3T-5858. The battery fits excellent and an upside is another 100 CCA's in a slightly larger case.

Not many trucks, PF or otherwise traveling the roads with a Silver/Calcium batteries I think. Silver and Calcium are used as additives to the conventional lead/acid battery's plates that are otherwise made-up of lead oxide paste pressed into cast lead-alloy grids. Addition of Silver and Calcium results in longer plates'/battery life and lower electrolyte losses during charge/discharge cycles - to the extent they hardly need any topping up during their life time provided the car's charging system is in order and not overcharging in particular.

If needed, they can be topped up with conventional battery grade distilled water because they too use sulphuric acid as the electrolyte. Since performance wise they're more or less identical to conventional lead acid batteries, they can be safely put-in/out of a car otherwise fitted with conventional l/a batteries. Typical examples of 'Ag/Ca' batteries are Bosch Silvers or with just 'Ca' as is in the Exide 'Maintenance-Free' batteries.

rtaylor

Postby rtaylor » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:56 am

Cat Premium High Output (PHO) batteries are used in all Caterpillar
Machines and Engine Gen-Sets. They are designed to meet stringent
Caterpillar design specifications, which provide industry leading cold
cranking amp (CCA) capability and maximum vibration resistance.
Maintenance Free or low maintenance designs are available in wet and dry
configurations.

Stay In Touch - Caterpillar (CAT) Stock Quotes

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:41 am

good thing u replied Taylor.

that guys been stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery for almost 2 years now. :D

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:20 pm

mar1 wrote:good thing u replied Taylor.

that guys been stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery for almost 2 years now. :D
looks to be spam, and some website for stock quotes at the bottom... I think this guy needs to be turfed!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:40 pm

disallow wrote:
mar1 wrote:good thing u replied Taylor.

looks to be spam, and some website for stock quotes at the bottom... I think this guy needs to be turfed!
looked a bit "product promotional" to me too :roll:

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:51 pm

rtaylor wrote:Cat Premium High Output (PHO) batteries are used in all Caterpillar
Machines and Engine Gen-Sets. They are designed to meet stringent
Caterpillar design specifications, which provide industry leading cold
cranking amp (CCA) capability and maximum vibration resistance.
Maintenance Free or low maintenance designs are available in wet and dry
configurations.

Stay In Touch - Caterpillar (CAT) Stock Quotes
Makes me wanna buy one... in 10 more years when my Interstate battery gives out... NAH, I'll just buy another Interstate battery. Heck, I just like the name MEGA-TRON... too bad it doesn't make my Pathy transform :?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”