Dash lighting swap-is this possible?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Dash lighting swap-is this possible?

Postby NVSteve » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:39 am

I'm not even sure we have LED backlighting in our instrument panels, but this may be of some interest to a few of you. I know that if someone did the research, experimentation & writeup, that I'd certainly be game to swap in some blue (or other color) LEDs.

FJ Cruiser LED swap

JohnKata

Postby JohnKata » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Anyone ever find anything out about this? I'd be interested, but I don't want to pull apart my dashboard for nothing.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:29 am

Back when I was Gung Ho about modding everything on my Path I looked into doing this shortly after Accord Freak started posting this:G35 Blue LED conversion I figure most Nissans would share the LEDs for the dash lighting fi you really want to go through with it. Did I mention the guy put round 100hrs into it?

FWIW if you don't want to read it all, the conversion caused a lot of hot spots, which might not seem like a big deal. Blue is tricky to begin with, although it looks cool it's a bad choice for interior lighting. Blue's wavelength is the reason for this. Orange/Red lighting is much better when considering preservation of night vision. Blue is the other side of that spectrum...

Most of my driving is in the dark on rarely light back roads, lots of wash and TONS of animals. I keep my dash illumination one tick above "black out" It helps of the rainy nights when the rods are wet and nearly invisible with the OEM halogens. For as short as the beam lays across the road I've learned to appreciate it's wide spread regarding being able to spot critters getting ready to cross the road. Going blue for me would probably be a bad choice, too bad it looks so nice...

markspath

Postby markspath » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:38 pm

Fofiddy wrote:Most of my driving is in the dark on rarely light back roads, lots of wash and TONS of animals. I keep my dash illumination one tick above "black out" It helps of the rainy nights when the rods are wet and nearly invisible with the OEM halogens. For as short as the beam lays across the road I've learned to appreciate it's wide spread regarding being able to spot critters getting ready to cross the road. Going blue for me would probably be a bad choice, too bad it looks so nice...
hehehe. What you need, son, is more lights!

I put Hella driving lights on the push bar, and they do a great job of extending the reach. And then I put four more cheopo lights on the roof basket, which give me extra side lighting distance. I plan on replacing the lights on the roof with something more powerful when I replace the fairing -- there's a limit on how much weight I can attach to the current plastic fairing, even with a 1/8 x 1-1/2 strip of aluminum for backing support.

These were very useful when I was out in the national parks this summer. Driving back from dinner in Jackson one night I came within 5 feet of nailing an elk on the middle of the highway at 65MPH. After that, I used all the lights all the time there wasn't oncoming traffic. My arm kinda got sore keeping my fingers down by the light switches, but at least there were no more near misses.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”