Magazine artical

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

sake

Magazine artical

Postby sake » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:36 am

I just picked up 4 WHEEL DRIVE magazine, and the is a 4 or 5 page artical on a 08 Pathfinder having a Calmini kit installed. They also say part 1, so more to come in an future issue.
-Chris

mcm4090

Postby mcm4090 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:18 pm

Is it on line?

sake

Postby sake » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:19 am

No it's not, I just checked.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:02 am

Are you talking about this horrible thing?

What do they say in the review so far?

sake

Postby sake » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:34 pm

I can't get on there site, it is taking forever to load. I was on there site a few weeks ago, but I don't rember seeing it there.
As far as the review goes they say "From the start it was clear that the stock Pathfinder wasn't going to be the exceptional off-highway trail rig we had hoped". They do say it has potential.

sake

Postby sake » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:35 pm

NVSteve wrote:Are you talking about this horrible thing?

It's there lift, but not that pathfinder.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:37 pm

NVSteve wrote:Are you talking about this horrible thing?

Looks like the price went up.

dmasini

Postby dmasini » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:55 am

It's on the front page of 4 Wheel Drive's website. Cool to see my exact model (color and all) as the one they used.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/featu ... index.html

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:03 am

It sure looks nice with the lift & 33's. I really have to question the benefit of having it though:
This picture illustrates how Calmini achieves lift using the OE strut. Notice the blue piece between the top of the strut and the factory coil bucket. It has a similar effect to walking on stilts, and there is no actual increase in wheel travel, just elevation change.
So, using the OEM strut & spring with what amounts to a spacer on top, with no added articulation. I fail to see the upside to this approach. I know I had the OME installed because the OEM was horrible. I certainly wouldn't want to increase space in the wheel wells for larger tires if my suspension wouldn't also be changed.
Calmini's (blue) crossmembers drop the differential down from the factory location. As you might imagine, these lowered mounting points increase leverage on the frame rails. We don't recommend this type of kit for high-speed desert racing. Calmini uses aft-braces that help distribute stress loads back to the factory transmission crossmember.
The biggest reason I've been against this lift from day one. $1600 for the lift ("spacers" would be a better term), and another $2-3k for wheels and tires-all that for the same ride. Am I being too practical minded?

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:07 am

NVSteve wrote: The biggest reason I've been against this lift from day one. $1600 for the lift ("spacers" would be a better term), and another $2-3k for wheels and tires-all that for the same ride. Am I being too practical minded?
I agree with ya. The more I read about this kit, the less impressed I am.

I think at this point, i'd be more apt to try the Titan comp. swaps.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:16 pm

NVSteve wrote:
This picture illustrates how Calmini achieves lift using the OE strut. Notice the blue piece between the top of the strut and the factory coil bucket. It has a similar effect to walking on stilts, and there is no actual increase in wheel travel, just elevation change.
So, using the OEM strut & spring with what amounts to a spacer on top, with no added articulation. I fail to see the upside to this approach. I know I had the OME installed because the OEM was horrible. I certainly wouldn't want to increase space in the wheel wells for larger tires if my suspension wouldn't also be changed.
I had a 6" lift on my IFS s10 ZR2, it does the same by dropping down the suspention. On increasing the wheel travel, the reason they do this is because of the CV shafts angle. When you have to much angle on the cv they will pull out of the housing. I had this problem when rock crawling with the saybar disconected. You also start to get cv bearing grease sparying out of the boots.
CV's only have a 30deg range were a u joint has up to 50deg before binding with a slip yoke installed. Most IFS have a max of 6'' of travel.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:23 am

Captain caveman wrote: I had a 6" lift on my IFS s10 ZR2, it does the same by dropping down the suspention. On increasing the wheel travel, the reason they do this is because of the CV shafts angle. When you have to much angle on the cv they will pull out of the housing. I had this problem when rock crawling with the saybar disconected. You also start to get cv bearing grease sparying out of the boots.
I wasn't questioning why they offer a drop down lift, but why anyone would want it since it doesn't change the ride at all. Anyone who has been in the R51 will know that the suspension needs help, first and foremost. I've done a number of lifts in the past, although never anything as extreme as 6", but those have always been with solid axle vehicles, which always meant new shocks and springs for an improved ride. The Calmini just seems incomplete, half-assed or just a "bling" lift.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”