Stock MP3 Player?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

falcondrgn

Stock MP3 Player?

Postby falcondrgn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 am

Hello Everyone.

Does anyone know if the stock single cd player in the 2005 plays mp3's burned onto a cd-r? Thank you so much in advance.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Stock MP3 Player?

Postby NVSteve » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:28 am

falcondrgn wrote:Hello Everyone.

Does anyone know if the stock single cd player in the 2005 plays mp3's burned onto a cd-r? Thank you so much in advance.
It has to. Even the very first CD/MP3 car stereos on the market played CD-R, even if it wasn't officially listed in the specs.

Wukillabeez78

Postby Wukillabeez78 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:33 am

There are two ways you can burn a cd with mp3's on it. You can burn it as a AUDIO cd (the cd's you buy from artists are audio cd's) with mp3 songs on it. If you do this you'll only be able to fit 14 or so songs on it depending on the length of the songs. Audio cd's can usually be played by almost any player made within the last decade or so. The second way is to burn the mp3's as a DATA cd. If you make a data cd it compresses the files and you can fit about 120 songs (depending again on the length of the songs) on it. Their are still a lot of cars that are unable to play data cd's. I'm not 100% sure but I know my 2005 nissan xterra can't play data cd's on it's stock system so I'd guess that the 2005 pathfinder can't do it either.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:13 am

Wukillabeez78 wrote:There are two ways you can burn a cd with mp3's on it.
You are sort of correct. The first method you mention the music files of your choice are actually being converted and are no longer MP3's at all and are more closely related to WAV's. And the second method the files are not being compressed as MP3's are already a compressed file format. But they are burnt as data files.

For the OP, CD-R should not come into play with a head unit as new as the 05. Only whether or not it can play MP3's. I'd bet for sure it could play any music burned as an audio cd. Really really old HU's weren't able to read any music regardless of format when burned onto a CD-R.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:20 am

Wukillabeez78 wrote: Their are still a lot of cars that are unable to play data cd's. I'm not 100% sure but I know my 2005 nissan xterra can't play data cd's on it's stock system so I'd guess that the 2005 pathfinder can't do it either.
If a car CD deck is MP3, then it obviously can play data CD's. If the deck only plays audio CD's, there is no way to burn and play a disc other than it being standard flavor audio CD, and many standard non-MP3 decks are real crabby when it comes to CDR's & CDRW's.

I read the original question and only the CDR part stuck in my mind, not the MP3. The big question is if the single deck in the '05 is MP3 capable. If it is, then it will play CDR's. If it isn't, then falcondrgn won't be able to play MP3's at all.

(EDIT: blink beat me to the punch-stupid job is always making me do other things to interrupt my replies)

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Hey Mr. Falcon (sorry Edited for TV broadcast "Die Hard" pun at your expense) I believe the answer your looking for is:
Depends on the model 2005 Path you got.
As Blink and others have said ripped CD's will practically play on anything given the quality of the disks. But if your looking for an OEM unit that plays .MP3s the Rockford Fosgate/Bose units are the stock units that can do it.
If I'm 80% sure if you have the multi-disk in dash unit or the powered OEM sub woofer built into the wheel well, you should have MP3 capability.
Also FWIW fm modulated mp3 adapters really rob you of sound quality if you were considering it as an option.
Last edited by Fofiddy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markspath

Postby markspath » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:05 pm

Fofiddy wrote:Also FWIW fm modulated mp3 adapters really rob you of sound quality if you were considering it as an option.
I haven't found any FM modulators that will even work with the Pathfinder. We have one or two unused frequencies in Northern NJ shared with every satellite radio and iPod user on the road. Finding an FM modulator powerful enough to reliably reach the rear-window antennas and override all the other modulators nearby has proven impossible.

Npath

Postby Npath » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:17 pm

I don't believe so. If the 05 has the OEM 6 disk stacker w/subwoofers... then it would play MP3 files. With regards to Canadian models, this would be called Premium Package.

My sister owned an 05 model and she said it doesn't play MP3's as it was a single disk head unit.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:46 am

Thank you all very much for your replies! All of you seem to be correct. I tried burning an audio CD with 12 songs that are closer to wav files instead of data mp3's and that worked. But when I tried to burn about 120 songs as data mp3's then the single cd deck that I have did not work. Thank you all very much for your inputs and advice!

pearl62

Postby pearl62 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:01 pm

I burned 3 cd-r's this weekend with MP3 on them and they work great in my 05 with the 6 disc changer.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Does anyone know if I can swap out my single disc radio head and swap in a bose 6 disc radio head from a 2006 pathfinder? Since I only have the single disc in my r51 is it possible to convert it to the bose 6 disc one? if so it it just plug and play? Thanks in advance.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”