2006 w/ stuck brakes - your thoughts?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Re: 2006 w/ stuck brakes - your thoughts?

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:24 pm

blink32 wrote:
disallow wrote: OK... well let me clarify... rebuilding a seized caliper is not recommended because:

1. You don't know what parts, or to what extent, are warped.
2. If its really seized, trying to rebuild will be similar to other exercises in futility.
3. Its cheaper to buy a complete new/rebuilt caliper anyways.
This is my point. Who is not recommending rebuilding calipers? The mechanics selling you their parts and services? Of course they recommend replacing it. Liability and more $$$. The less time it takes them to get the job in and out the more $$$ they make overall. Not to mention the mark-up on the parts.

It's quite easy to identify failed parts. But you don't even need to. In a rebuild everything except the caliper is replaced anyways because it will be assumed those parts are damaged and are cheap enough. Determining if a caliper is warped is only as far away as a true flat measuring tool.

The only time a rebuild will turn into an exercise in futility is when the operator does not complete the work properly. That I will agree with.

I don't see how a hand full of of dust boots, two guides, two bolts, a seal and piston is more expensive than a whole reman-caliper (unless you get the parts via a dealer). At a quoted price of $125 each caliper I can go down to Grainger and get everything I need for far less than that. But I will concede that the average person no longer has the drive to do this and will take the easy way out.

It all goes back to the operator. You don't do the work properly your seals will not seat and your work will be worthless. But that's why tools are made and procedures are meant to be followed. This is not a jab at you but have you ever rebuilt a caliper or brake cylinder? I ask because you make good points but they reek of urban legend more than practice. I have rebuilt brake cylinders and calipers with out issue that are in use on the roads now. It is ridiculously easy.
Not taken as a jab. I have attempted to rebuild the caliper on my 98 civic. It was sticky before rebuild, and sticky after. There are a couple places you can get calipers and rebuild parts up here, FLAPS as some call them (Favorite Local Autoparts Stores). All of the calipers you can get at these places are rebuilt. However, they are rebuilt using inferior materials to OE spec. Fasteners that rust in no time, pins out of spec or not true. The rebuild kit you can get from Acklands is of the same quality.

After my experience with my civic, I am pretty stuck on buying OE replacements. If there are OE rebuilds available, I would buy them, but I have learnt my lesson on AM rebuilds, and AM rebuild kits.

Also, the average DIYer does not have the proper tools to do a caliper rebuild.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:40 am

disallow wrote: FLAPS

AHHHHH, the FLAP. I totally forgot about that one! When I was in the VW circles FLAP was the bread and butter of the conversations.

Thanks for the back and forth discussion! I'm always willing to debate about nothing. A bit like government. :)

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:22 am

blink32 wrote:
disallow wrote: FLAPS

AHHHHH, the FLAP. I totally forgot about that one! When I was in the VW circles FLAP was the bread and butter of the conversations.

Thanks for the back and forth discussion! I'm always willing to debate about nothing. A bit like government. :)
Always fun to have these discussions. I do not consider myself a pro by any stretch, but I do have a wide scope of experience over Nissans, Hondas, and domestics. Done everything from brakes, timing belt, cam shaft, transmission swap, cv boots, valves, obdii diagnostics. I also work in the heavy duty vehicle industry as the powertrain purchasing manager. So you get to see alot of different things, also have been to many engine, transmission, and radiator plants etc. Like I said, not an engineer or mechanic, but wide experience.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”