2005 Pathfinder Rear Rotor Removal?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

pbmorrow67

2005 Pathfinder Rear Rotor Removal?

Postby pbmorrow67 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:18 am

Hey folks, I am in the middle of a rear brake rotor change on my 2005 Pathfinder SE Off Road. Calipers came off w no problem, also axel nut, but I can't seem to pull the rotor away at all. Is there something I'm missing in the removal process??? HELP!

myriad46

Re: 2005 Pathfinder Rear Rotor Removal?

Postby myriad46 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:34 am

pbmorrow67 wrote:Hey folks, I am in the middle of a rear brake rotor change on my 2005 Pathfinder SE Off Road. Calipers came off w no problem, also axel nut, but I can't seem to pull the rotor away at all. Is there something I'm missing in the removal process??? HELP!
Yes... The giant hammer!

Not sure if you need to remove the axel nut. It may just be rusted on.

If it is stuck on good, I have used rust buster spray on the inside and outside, right around where the rotor seats to the hub. Let it sit for a while, get underneath and bang the living hell out of it towards the outside of the vehicle.

Gonzo

Re: 2005 Pathfinder Rear Rotor Removal?

Postby Gonzo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 am

myriad46 wrote:
pbmorrow67 wrote:Hey folks, I am in the middle of a rear brake rotor change on my 2005 Pathfinder SE Off Road. Calipers came off w no problem, also axel nut, but I can't seem to pull the rotor away at all. Is there something I'm missing in the removal process??? HELP!
Yes... The giant hammer!

Not sure if you need to remove the axel nut. It may just be rusted on.

If it is stuck on good, I have used rust buster spray on the inside and outside, right around where the rotor seats to the hub. Let it sit for a while, get underneath and bang the living hell out of it towards the outside of the vehicle.
What I think pbmorrow67 is refering to is a "BFH" which those who aren't tool savy means "Big F**king Hammer". I usually used a sturdy mallet to loosen things up. A BFH could throw something off a bit. Just my .02 cents.

Joel

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 pm

To remove the rear caliper cylinder body, you should only need to remove the 2 mounting bolts, and the union bolt. You could probably leave the Union bolt connected if you just need to remove the rotor. You would just need to string the caliper up somewhere close as to not risk breaking the break line. Of course if you plan on replacing the fluid, you might as well unbolt this too.

PS. Where did you get your new rotors?

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Usually there are 2 threaded holes in the rotors for 8x1.25 bolts ... just run them in and it will pop off ... No need to pull the axle nut ....!! Or yea, pop it with a hammer ...Remember there is a drum brake setup under there also .. for the E-Brake ..So make sure the e-brake isnt set !

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:58 pm

G35TR wrote:To remove the rear caliper cylinder body, you should only need to remove the 2 mounting bolts, and the union bolt. You could probably leave the Union bolt connected if you just need to remove the rotor. You would just need to string the caliper up somewhere close as to not risk breaking the break line. Of course if you plan on replacing the fluid, you might as well unbolt this too.

PS. Where did you get your new rotors?
Oops, nevermind. I thought he had an issue with releasing the caliper, but now I realize the rotor itself is stuck.

Anyway, I had to do the bolt in the hole thing on my Altima way back, as shawn suggested.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”