pathy fuel up issue

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

pathy fuel up issue

Postby disallow » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:40 pm

So pretty much every time I get my truck filled up, the attendant spills gas on the side. I have also filled it up several times with similar results.

The truck does not seem to allow any type of 'top off' at all. Even attempting to get an extra $0.50 is impossible, and causes fuel to come out. Is that the way everyones truck is? If so, I may just start filling myself, and stopping at the first click.

Let me know.
t

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:13 pm

My '05 will usually take another 0.2-0.3 gallons after the nozzle clicks off, and I think I've only overflowed it once (getting every last drop before a hurricane). Probably depends a lot of the pumps and the vapor recovery system - down in FL they might be different than you have.

SilverGhost

Re: pathy fuel up issue

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:19 pm

disallow wrote:So pretty much every time I get my truck filled up, the attendant spills gas on the side. I have also filled it up several times with similar results.

The truck does not seem to allow any type of 'top off' at all. Even attempting to get an extra $0.50 is impossible, and causes fuel to come out. Is that the way everyones truck is? If so, I may just start filling myself, and stopping at the first click.

Let me know.
t
I've never had that problem myself. Sounds like a super-sloppy attendant to me. I fill my own, and any pump I've ever used always clicks off before any spill occurs. Beyond that, I ususally top off with at least another half gallon, and still haven't spilled any. Yeah, I sometimes get a trickle on the side from fuel left in the nozzel, but that's operater error when I'm in a hurry. If you let it drain for five seconds before pulling it out, you shouldn't have a problem.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:00 pm

No issues over here where I'm not legally allowed to fill up my own tank. Never seen it happen when I'm out of state filling up myself either.

How much are you getting in on fill-ups? You could be having a venting problem.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:01 pm

With my Sentra I used to get almost 3/4 of a gallon over the first stop. With my 05 Pathy it hardly takes any top-off at all.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 pm

STOP after the first click. if you do not the charcoal canister will suck gas instead of fuel vapors. it will damage the canister asnd it will need to be replaced. they are very, very expensive.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:03 pm

i did have a pump over fill once resulting in a spill but the pump was poorly maintained, never had a problem fueling. I dont top it off ever

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:15 am

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:STOP after the first click. if you do not the charcoal canister will suck gas instead of fuel vapors. it will damage the canister asnd it will need to be replaced. they are very, very expensive.
If I did this on my 08 civic, i would only be able to fill the tank to 4/5 capacity. It will take 8 or 9 litres after first click, on a 50 litre tank.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:17 am

SilverGhost wrote:
disallow wrote:So pretty much every time I get my truck filled up, the attendant spills gas on the side. I have also filled it up several times with similar results.

Let me know.
t
I've never had that problem myself. Sounds like a super-sloppy attendant to me. I fill my own, and any pump I've ever used always clicks off before any spill occurs. Beyond that, I ususally top off with at least another half gallon, and still haven't spilled any. Yeah, I sometimes get a trickle on the side from fuel left in the nozzel, but that's operater error when I'm in a hurry. If you let it drain for five seconds before pulling it out, you shouldn't have a problem.
no its not the attendant. Something is definitely wrong. After 1st click, no more fuel is allowed in, it squirts out of the filler. I tried last night.

When the weather gets better, if it hasn't improved on its own, i will see if there is a blocked vent hose or something. Also could be a vent line frozen due to condensation, right?

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:06 am

disallow wrote:When the weather gets better, if it hasn't improved on its own, i will see if there is a blocked vent hose or something. Also could be a vent line frozen due to condensation, right?
Sounds like a possbility.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm

after the 1st click, remove nozzle to allow some pressure release and continue fueling to where you feel is sufficient without it pouring out.

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:57 pm

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:STOP after the first click. if you do not the charcoal canister will suck gas instead of fuel vapors. it will damage the canister asnd it will need to be replaced. they are very, very expensive.
Yeah, I heard the same thing too.

So I stop when the pumps stops, what's a few cents and drops gonna get ya?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”