Air Lift Airbags

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Tillyboat

Air Lift Airbags

Postby Tillyboat » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Last week I went to refill the airbags in the rear springs and I could hear a loud hissing coming from the rear right side (I hadn't filled them up in a few weeks). I checked the pressure and it was immediately near 10psi. I just happened to have an appointment the next day for brake service, so I thought that I would ask if they can take a look to see if they can find where the leak was coming from. The service guy just looked at me like I was nuts. I know he wanted to ask my why I put them there. So I just told him, that when you have a high tongue weight when pulling a trailer, you bottom out quite a bit because of the soft springs. Then he was like, ohhhhh...

Anyways. I was later told that there was a large hole in the top of the air bag, no the air nozzle, and that was obviously where the air was escaping from. I haven't had a chance to look at it, but this sounds like it may have happened... why? I'm thinking because of the extremely cold winter up here, that maybe I had kept them filled too high? I usually kept them around 25 to 30psi during the winter. Is it possible? Just wanted anyone's opinion about this, especially those that live in the cold winters... so of course I had to order another set. Maybe next winter i'll keep them lower or almost empty.

Thanks everyone, have a great day.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:31 pm

I think running them at that high of pressure is for when your towing. I could see prolonged use at 30psi and being extremly cold could weaken them easily. I keep mine around 15-20psi and their plenty stiff for daily driving imo. They might replace it for free its worth a shot. Good luck

crewcabrob

Postby crewcabrob » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:40 am

I just installed mine yesterday afternoon. My Son came out and helped me.

After I got them installed and aired up to 35PSI for the leak test, I noticed how they really bulge between the springs at that pressure. It seems to me, that if you have a lot of salt/gravel that it would be easy for a rock or other debris to get lodged inbetween the air bag and soemthing else. After time, it would eventualy wear through. With added pressure, I can only assume that it would acclerate the issue.

Still, I would think the Warrenty would come into play. Getting a replacement bag would be way better than buying a new kit.

Good luck!

Rob

Tillyboat

Postby Tillyboat » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:30 am

So I finally had a chance to check out the airbags, after getting another set. I noticed that the red plates that got over the top of the air holes, got twisted up and ended up bending, and going into the top of the spring assembly(i'm not sure if that's what it's called), and therefore would cause the air hole spout to bend severely to one side, causing the air to leak. I took the air out of the airbags, and pulled the red plate out, lined it back up and spun it so it wouldn't go back into the hole. It almost seems that it would be better to put two of those red plates on the top so the air spout doesn't get bent into the top. But I filled them up, emptied them and refilled them and now they're working fine. I have a second set of airbags now too just in case...

Have a good day.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:40 am

On a side note, where are you guys mounting your valve at? I'm about to install these thanks to nissan4me giving me his when he sold his Pathfinder. I know RacerZX integrated his into his wiring harness, but I don't need a 7-pin harness so I won't have that option.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”