For a less bumpy ride, would a suspension lift help ?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

cane

For a less bumpy ride, would a suspension lift help ?

Postby cane » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:11 am

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if lifting the pathfinder would help make those bumpy rides smoother?
Also would all terrain bf tires help or am i waay off ?
I don't go offroad much at all apart from the odd sand hill here in Dubai but my wife complains about the harsh ride when we hit bumps so just thinking on a lift ? any suggestions ?
cheers

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:13 am

Well.. a lift is not really going to improve your ride. If you get a top quality lift and do everything right, it may get better. But if your only wanting to improve the handling I would upgrade to some good shocks absorbers. The stock ones are crap. A new set of tires would also help smooth out the ride. Allterrains are going to be stiffer so they will not be much help. Basically just upgrade some of your suspension components and it will smooth the ride out.

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:30 am

Just to be sure... Your tires are inflated properly?

cane

Postby cane » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 am

Cheers, which tires & suspension components, any info on what to look for ?

Thanks for the info.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:41 pm

I can't speak of specific brands directly but I would be looking into several things.

As mentioned check out your tire pressure. If it is on the high end you could drop a few psi and see if that changes anything. Obviously you'd want to stay in a safe range of pressure and not drop too low to make the vehicle unstable or take a big hit on gas mileage.

IIRC the model of pathy you drive makes a difference. I want to say the LE has a different (softer) spring rate and/or shocks than the other models. You could run a few searches on this site and find that info I'm sure as I read it here long ago.

All the lifts for the pathy that I know of actually increase the spring rate so you'd probably end up with a bumpier ride. But depending on your resources over there you could get a custom set of coils made for a reasonable price.

I would also look into adjustable shocks. KYB, Koni, Monroe, Gabriel, Tokico, Bilstein, etc are some of the brands that come to mind. I'm not saying any of them will have a part number for the Path but they probably do with some work on your end pulling measurements. That way you could dial the dampening down softer.

Good luck.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”