Fuel gauge issues

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Mine has been hosed for over 6 months and there are no problems with the pump. The gauge just gets worse over time and it takes longer for the gauge to show the correct level. I have to get about 180 miles on the tank before it actually starts working. I haven't had a chance to change mine out with life and the weather,plus trying to time it when the tank is almost empty before dropping it. At least I have the part when it all lines up.

tariqhu9

got the fuel sending unit fixed for free!

Postby tariqhu9 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:47 pm

The unit was bad on my 06 Path. I registered on Nissan USA and called them before I went to the dealer. They said to take it to the dealer for the diag.

Before I took it in, I received a survey card in the mail. Completed the survey and in the comment section, complained about the fuel sending unit. To my surprise, I got a call from Nissan the very next day.

They again said to take it to the dealer for the diag. That cost $95, which I didn't want to pay since I had already known what the problem was. I guess doing at a dealer made it official.

Anyway, after the diagnostic test, I got another call from a Regional Rep and she said to go ahead and schedule the repair with the dealer and it would be taken care of. I almost didn't believe it, but once I got the invoice it showed the labor for the new sending unit and the oil change. The grand total was $34. They put the new unit on and it was the new part number.

I'm pretty happy with Nissan at this point.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: got the fuel sending unit fixed for free!

Postby eieio » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:32 pm

just curious: how long had you owned your Pathfinder at that point, & what was the mileage? was the repair covered by the original warranty, or on a "good will" basis? did you wind up paying the diagnostic charge? thanks!

tariqhu9 wrote:The unit was bad on my 06 Path. I registered on Nissan USA and called them before I went to the dealer. They said to take it to the dealer for the diag.

Before I took it in, I received a survey card in the mail. Completed the survey and in the comment section, complained about the fuel sending unit. To my surprise, I got a call from Nissan the very next day.

They again said to take it to the dealer for the diag. That cost $95, which I didn't want to pay since I had already known what the problem was. I guess doing at a dealer made it official.

Anyway, after the diagnostic test, I got another call from a Regional Rep and she said to go ahead and schedule the repair with the dealer and it would be taken care of. I almost didn't believe it, but once I got the invoice it showed the labor for the new sending unit and the oil change. The grand total was $34. They put the new unit on and it was the new part number.

I'm pretty happy with Nissan at this point.

tariqhu9

Postby tariqhu9 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:42 pm

[quote="dryart"]just curious: how long had you owned your Pathfinder at that point, & what was the mileage? was the repair covered by the original warranty, or on a "good will" basis? did you wind up paying the diagnostic charge? thanks!

I've only had this car since last September. Never owned a Nissan before. They fixed it last Saturday.

It apparently was covered under some warranty or at least that's how the invoice is coded. There was no mention of good will.

Yes, I paid for the diag. It was $95, which is way cheaper than the $500 they originally wanted to do the repair.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:31 pm

tariqhu9 wrote:
dryart wrote:just curious: how long had you owned your Pathfinder at that point, & what was the mileage? was the repair covered by the original warranty, or on a "good will" basis? did you wind up paying the diagnostic charge? thanks!

I've only had this car since last September. Never owned a Nissan before. They fixed it last Saturday.

It apparently was covered under some warranty or at least that's how the invoice is coded. There was no mention of good will.

Yes, I paid for the diag. It was $95, which is way cheaper than the $500 they originally wanted to do the repair.
the reason i asked is because i wanted to know if this was a standard warranty repair during the warranty period, or if it was covered after the warranty expired. was the Pathfinder more than 3 years old at the time (from the original date of purchase) or did it have extended warranty?
if Nissan is repairing this common defect after warranty expiration, on a "goodwill" basis, this would be helpful info for many of us who may be faced with this common failure!
Thanks!:)

tariqhu9

Postby tariqhu9 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 pm

the reason i asked is because i wanted to know if this was a standard warranty repair during the warranty period, or if it was covered after the warranty expired. was the Pathfinder more than 3 years old at the time (from the original date of purchase) or did it have extended warranty?
if Nissan is repairing this common defect after warranty expiration, on a "goodwill" basis, this would be helpful info for many of us who may be faced with this common failure!
Thanks!:)[/quote]

It was covered after the warranty period. My vehicle has 44k on it so it wasn't covered by the 3yr/36k warranty and I don't have any extended warranties. When I bought the car, it was already out of warranty. My best guest is that it was covered under the powertrain warranty.

When i originally asked the dealer about getting it fixed, I was told that it wasn't covered. I guess I complained to the right people.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:13 pm

tariqhu9 wrote:the reason i asked is because i wanted to know if this was a standard warranty repair during the warranty period, or if it was covered after the warranty expired. was the Pathfinder more than 3 years old at the time (from the original date of purchase) or did it have extended warranty?
Thanks!:)

It was covered after the warranty period. My vehicle has 44k on it so it wasn't covered by the 3yr/36k warranty and I don't have any extended warranties. When I bought the car, it was already out of warranty. My best guest is that it was covered under the powertrain warranty.

When i originally asked the dealer about getting it fixed, I was told that it wasn't covered. I guess I complained to the right people.

good for you! home run! congratulations! :D

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:50 pm

I had mine replaced in OCT 09 which i payed around 350 for. The problem still continues but now there is no SES light or codes for the dealer to read. The tank usually acts up when i take it below 20 miles on the DTE which then it just drops off to completely empty. Then like others say once i fill it up it take a while for the gauge to get to completely full. I have talked to NISSAN USA and all they did for me was talk to the dealer and every time i take it in they give me a rental car. I dont have to pay for the service since the part is under warrantee for 12 mo. But the problem is still ongoing. Everytime i take it in on empty they fill it and it works fine, i know murphys law right? Well i am about to give up. I am tired of taking it in the the dealer to have them look at it for 2 or so days to give it back saying they cannot duplicate the issue. :roll:

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:11 am

Nissan just announced Fuel gauge recall!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/02/news/ec ... /index.htm

LBC2005

Postby LBC2005 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:11 pm

I just bought a used 2005 Pathfinder and already had this issue pop up a week later. I guess in a way it's good to know it is a common problem. My PF came with an extended warranty, so hopefully there is no out of pocket cost to get it repaired.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:58 pm

I have read in here and on the Frontier Forum that some Dealers are finding that the fuel tank is collapsing and when this happens it allows the sending unit to hang up on the inside of the tank.. some fuel tanks are doing this not all.

LBC2005

Postby LBC2005 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:20 pm

LBC2005 wrote:I just bought a used 2005 Pathfinder and already had this issue pop up a week later. I guess in a way it's good to know it is a common problem. My PF came with an extended warranty, so hopefully there is no out of pocket cost to get it repaired.
So after about a day and a half, the fuel gauge corrected itself. But my Service Engine Soon light is still on. I will have to take this in to the dealership as soon as it happens next time.

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:58 pm

So - after 4 trips to the dealer & replacing the sender, they finally replaced the complete unit - pump, sender & all. Seems that Nissan had a batch of senders that had a bad connection at the pump.
So far I've burned 1 tank of gas & the guage worked normally. On refilling the tank, everything looks good. We shall see.

Wedge

Postby Wedge » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 am

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to the Pathfinder family, having picked up an '06 SE 4WD in April 2010, but a few weeks ago I filled the tank for the first time since I had it and lo and behold, the Service Engine Soon light comes on and the fuel gauge stays where it was (at 1/4 tank). As others have mentioned, over the next day or two the needle slowly rose to full. Obviously it was the same fuel sender problem that other owners have had, but my Pathfinder was out of warranty and was made in May 06, two months after the dates in the recall. I contacted Nissan about it and they told me to have it checked out by my dealer and call them back. I did that and after a few days of back and forth, Nissan agreed that if I had the dealer replace the sender, they would re-imburse me. Well I had the sender replaced yesterday and faxed Nissan the invoice and sure enough, they called today saying they will send a check for the $380 in 4-6 weeks.

This may be good news for those of you that are outside of the recall, or an indication that they may expand the recall soon. Everyone I spoke to at the dealer and at Nissan said that it would probably be expanded.

Besides this issue, I love the Pathfinder. I used to have a Tacoma pickup but it's cab was getting cramped for my growing 7 year old. I also got a good deal on the Pathy with 32,000 miles and the options I wanted - sunroof, CD changer, climate control, full roofrack.

Wedge

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:35 am

I haven't really understood the gaps in the dates on the recall. I'm sure all the older R51's are affected. They replaced mine, and mine wasn't even malfunctioning.

Welcome to the board, Wedge.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”