Michelin Tire Upgrade

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

SilverGhost

Michelin Tire Upgrade

Postby SilverGhost » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:57 pm

I'm beginning to think that the $900 Michelin rubber for which I just swapped my OEM General Grabber A/W's may be no improvement at all. :oops:

Just comparing specs, I find that there are two distinctly different Michelin Cross Terrain tires. The only one offered in the OEM Pathy size (265/65/17) has a much lower load rating and max cold tire pressure than the other. While the load range of the one I bought (110S) is identical to the Generals, the max tire pressure rating is only 35 PSI, versus 41 for the Gen's. The Pathy's recommended pressure is also 35 PSI, which is what I use.

Right or wrong, I have always thought that rear tires should have air added to compensate for the tongue weight of a towed trailer. But, with these Michelins, I won't be able to do that.

Any thoughts?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:45 am

The BFG Long Trail T/A tires which came on my 2006 SE are the same, max cold PSI of 35.

dezthumper

Postby dezthumper » Wed May 07, 2008 9:34 pm

I went with the Michies from Costco - same exact size as the pathetic stock tires for the LE.

The Michelins increased gas mileage over the last 17 tanks .9 mpg and they are at/checked at the same intervals as the stock tires. They are far quieter and the grip seems better.

Just my 2 cents...

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Thu May 08, 2008 4:37 am

I had Cross Terrains on a '97 Explorer about 3 years ago, and for the $600 I paid at the time they were disappointing from a traction perspective, not much better than the Firestones that were on the truck. Traction really was not that great and the rear end would still always have a tendency of getting loose.

My new Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds have been amazing, however. Wet traction is unbelievable, they improved stability, handling, and steering response more than I thought possible (and do have a max pressure of 44 PSI). But still not cheap, about $920 out the door.

If you're going to tow, as long as you're not exceeding the max load rating of the rear tires I would think you'd be ok. You bring up an interesting point, I'm not sure how you'd have the same load rating between a tire with 35 PSI and 41 PSI, unless the sidewall construction is dramatically different. You might get more flexure with the Michelins, and maybe worse gas mileage.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”