05 pathfinder, Viberating

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

SKIPJACK

05 pathfinder, Viberating

Postby SKIPJACK » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:05 pm

When I hit about 40mph the whole truck shakes and viberates and it continues unless the speed drops below 40. If anyone has any ideas of what i need to do to get this to stop shoot me a line.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:59 pm

i would check your front and rear driveshaft for the u-joints.

mcxstar01

Postby mcxstar01 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:38 pm

I was running into the same thing. Take a look under the car at your driveshafts, with the engine off grab each of the driveshafts and try and move them. If there is a lot of play your U-joints might be shot. That's what I did and I found my front U-joints shot. Once I replaced them the vibration was gone...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:01 am

mcxstar01 wrote:I was running into the same thing. Take a look under the car at your driveshafts, with the engine off grab each of the driveshafts and try and move them. If there is a lot of play your U-joints might be shot. That's what I did and I found my front U-joints shot. Once I replaced them the vibration was gone...
If the u-joint is seized, the wiggle test does not work.

To the OP, is the vibration the same/worse/less pronounced with 4wd on? (if so equipped)

If its less pronounced, odd are its your rear u-joint. Start with the one at the rear diff, unbolt the driveshaft, and check if the u-joint moves freely in all directions. If it doesn't you have a dry joint and it needs to be replaced. Part costs about $25 and takes about an hour to put in (someone experienced. if you plan to tackle it your self, get a BFH and some appropriately sized sockets to knock the old joint out of the shaft and bang the new one in)

I consider myself a medium-well experienced DIYer, and am glad I got the guy down the street to do it. He let me watch, now I think I could do it.

t

SKIPJACK

thanks

Postby SKIPJACK » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:30 pm

hey guys thanks for the tips, I took the pathfinder into the local nissan dealer, and they said it was the front driveshaft (nothing about the u-joints) but picked it up today and drives as smooth as the day i bought it. also they changed out my air bags b/c of a recall.

JediNachos

Same Problem Here

Postby JediNachos » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:56 am

Wow. I too, this week had a U-Joint replaced because of vibration. And while at the Nissan dealer, they replaced some air bag thing because of a recall.

That vibration was so bad, my Pathy was undriveable at highway speeds. Very annoying.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:25 pm

if the car is still under warranty, will the u-joint or driveshaft be covered?
also, what would cause these 2 things to go bad?
I recently took my truck off roading. easy trails, I was in 4 hi mode.
do I need to be concerned?
thanks.

Somber Goat

Postby Somber Goat » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:52 am

New to the forum and my pathfinder and just happened to be having the same problem.

Mine occurs at highway speeds around 75-85 and then quits. Ran circles around thinking it was my tires, even took it to two different tire shops and they said my tires need to be replaced.

Needless to say on two wheels I can tackle most dyi stuff but my truck, no thanks, I don't have the room or the tools. Going to take it to the dealer and see what they say about the drive shafts and U-joints.

So glad i found this forum. Those that did take it in to the dealer whether it was the drive shaft or the u-joints what did you find it cost? Since i'm going to use the dealer I just dont want to get ripped off and looking for a baseline on cost.

Also any ideas on what could happen if I let the problem persist?

JediNachos

Postby JediNachos » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:00 am

My cost was under $400, with an alignment.

To be honest, I did not care what the cost was. That vibration had to go, or the car was going.

Somber Goat

Postby Somber Goat » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:05 am

I totally agree about the vibration, it has to go. I was so close to replacing all the tires before i found this forum. 1k vs. $400 is fine in my book to take care of the issue.

Thanks for the feedback on the price JediNachos.

Mordtecai

Postby Mordtecai » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:58 am

I had the same thing happen last week too. It turned out to be the u-joint, vehicle is covered on powertrain items up to 5 years or 60k miles whichever comes first so no cost to me :D

Somber Goat

Postby Somber Goat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:08 am

Just got the call from the dealer, its the U-joint on the front driveshaft.

Bad news: not in stock, will have to order it, could take a week.
Good news: covered under warranty

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:43 am

Where do you live? if your some what mechanically inclined you should be able to do it yourself. Napa has greaseable u-joints for like 14 bucks and non greaseable one for like 7 bucks. But if its under warranty and you wanna wait than thats up to you.

Somber Goat

Postby Somber Goat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:22 pm

If its covered by warranty i don't mind the wait but as for dyi, never really been much of a wrench on vehicles. kids, work and such limit my time to get under neath.

I do plan on tackling all the fluids and filters here soon but still have to do some research and find some how-to's to walk me through everything i can do myself.

dreamer2009

Postby dreamer2009 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:29 pm

I had a vibration at 60. Turned out it was a front driveshaft or propeller shaft as the work order stated. Covered under warranty.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”