Nissan Pathfinder DPF Removal

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

sashasolar

Nissan Pathfinder DPF Removal

Postby sashasolar » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi guys! I'm hoping somebody would be able to advise on removal of DPF on Nissan Pathfinder, 2.4L TDi, 2008 make.
We moved to Armenia with work and brought the car with us from Europe. The local diesel fuel does not conform to Euro4 standards, so our DPF has to regenerate few times a day...
The local mechanics do not have much of experience with DPFs. They can remove the filter itself, but what should it be replaced with? Just a tube? Also, they have no idea how would the computer behave after DPF's removal?
I do have access to a guy in Nissan Service centre, who'd be able to connect to the system and update firmware / change codes if need be, but he doesn't know what exactly has to be changed.
Guys, we are really stuck. I somebody knows anything or has any experience on this matter or knows a mechanic who could consult us (not free of charge of course;-), please, let me know.
Operating a vehicle without DPF filter installed is not illegal in Armenia, thus we should have no legal problems...
Thank you!

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:05 am

Hi, not many diesels on this forum..
(mostly americans and there's no diesels there)
Try here:
http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=20

sashasolar

Postby sashasolar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:42 am

sveintore wrote:Hi, not many diesels on this forum..
(mostly americans and there's no diesels there)
Try here:
http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
Thanks a mil!;-)

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:53 am

Hello and welcome the site. I'm a diesel mechanic here in the states. On our 07 and up diesels the all have DPFs. I'm very informed to the DPF systems. You can not remove the DPF with out the ECm throwing codes for Aftertreatment filter pressure inaccurate, DPF will not regen and many more. Do not remove it, just let it run its regen and be happy.

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:04 am

Captain caveman wrote:Hello and welcome the site. I'm a diesel mechanic here in the states. On our 07 and up diesels the all have DPFs. I'm very informed to the DPF systems. You can not remove the DPF with out the ECm throwing codes for Aftertreatment filter pressure inaccurate, DPF will not regen and many more. Do not remove it, just let it run its regen and be happy.
Ah, you do get the PF in a Diesel-version over there? :-)
I did not know that. Is it the european version?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:45 am

Captain caveman wrote:Hello and welcome the site. I'm a diesel mechanic here in the states. On our 07 and up diesels the all have DPFs. I'm very informed to the DPF systems. You can not remove the DPF with out the ECm throwing codes for Aftertreatment filter pressure inaccurate, DPF will not regen and many more. Do not remove it, just let it run its regen and be happy.
Running high sulfur diesel with the DPF will cause major DPF plugging issues in very short order. We had this problem in the US in 2007, as ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel, LT 50ppm sulfur) was not widely available in the beginning of 2007. Many DPFs had to be replaced (=expensive!)

If the OP continues to run the low quality fuel through his engine, it will eventually plug the DPF and cause the system to lock into regen mode. Seen it many times myself (work for a heavy duty bus manufacturer).

If the pathfinder is sold into the Armenian market, you will want to see how they are set up and see if you can change over. However, it will be a large task, and would require a reflash, and probably a different engine and aftertreatment wiring harness. You would be better served to sell you current pathfinder now before damage occurs, and buy one locally that is set up for Euro III.

t

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:49 pm

You can also try posting your question here:
http://www.club-nissan.ru/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Seems like lots of site users run diesels and I'm sure most of them have to deal with crap diesel fuel in rural areas.

sashasolar

Postby sashasolar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 am

Hi Guys! Thank you very much for your comments!

Yes, we've been thinking of bringing our car back to Europe (France) and selling it there. But it'd be a crazy task to drive Armenia-Georgia-Turkey (ARM-TR border is still closed) - boat to Italy - France. Custom clearing it in France, then trying to sell... at a big loss of course.

Local dealers do not sell diesel cars in Armenia due to poor fuel quality here. I know, we should have done more home work before bringing the car here...

Basically, we have to either remove DPF and install the O2 sensor simulators to fool the system or to sell the car in EU.
It will not be illegal to use the car here without DPF.

There are O2 sensor simulators on sale on a popular online auction;-). The item descriptions look good....
What if we remove the DPF and plug those simulators instead of the sensors, so the Engine Check does not come up?

The other confusing thing is that I can see three sensors attached to the DPF: one before the filter and two after. Does anybody know what each sensor is responsible for?
In the service manuals we saw, there are two sensors shown... What is the story with the third one? I took photos of these sensors, I wander shall I share them with you guys?

Thank you for the link to the Russian Nissan forum. I asked them for heads up also, but with no result still. Some recommend O2 simulators, some say I need a "resonator" (no idea how to translate this one into English).

To summarise my essay:-) What are your views on removing DPF and replacing the o2 sensors with simulators? And why are there three sensors attached to DPF on 2008 2.5L TDi Pathfinder :D

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:57 am

sashasolar wrote:Hi Guys! Thank you very much for your comments!

Yes, we've been thinking of bringing our car back to Europe (France) and selling it there. But it'd be a crazy task to drive Armenia-Georgia-Turkey (ARM-TR border is still closed) - boat to Italy - France. Custom clearing it in France, then trying to sell... at a big loss of course.

Local dealers do not sell diesel cars in Armenia due to poor fuel quality here. I know, we should have done more home work before bringing the car here...

Basically, we have to either remove DPF and install the O2 sensor simulators to fool the system or to sell the car in EU.
It will not be illegal to use the car here without DPF.

There are O2 sensor simulators on sale on a popular online auction;-). The item descriptions look good....
What if we remove the DPF and plug those simulators instead of the sensors, so the Engine Check does not come up?

The other confusing thing is that I can see three sensors attached to the DPF: one before the filter and two after. Does anybody know what each sensor is responsible for?
In the service manuals we saw, there are two sensors shown... What is the story with the third one? I took photos of these sensors, I wander shall I share them with you guys?

Thank you for the link to the Russian Nissan forum. I asked them for heads up also, but with no result still. Some recommend O2 simulators, some say I need a "resonator" (no idea how to translate this one into English).

To summarise my essay:-) What are your views on removing DPF and replacing the o2 sensors with simulators? And why are there three sensors attached to DPF on 2008 2.5L TDi Pathfinder :D
I would imagine they are not just O2 sensors. There is a delta-p (pressure) sensor before and after the DPF to detect the soot load in the DPF. These would need to be replaced with the 'fooling' sensors to keep your vehicle from attempting regeneration.

If these exist and actually work, you should be good to go. The only hang up would be that there may not be enough back pressure and the engine will run poorly, or derated (engine computer knocks down Horsepower and torque because it thinks something is wrong/missing).

If you can overcome that issue, you should actually see a huge power and fuel economy gain.

t

sashasolar

Postby sashasolar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:14 am

Thanks Terry! Is there any way to confirm whether these are o2 or pressure sensors? I am looking for a Service Manual for 2.5L TDi, but with no luck...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 pm

sashasolar wrote:Thanks Terry! Is there any way to confirm whether these are o2 or pressure sensors? I am looking for a Service Manual for 2.5L TDi, but with no luck...
No you'd need a diagram of the exhaust setup and the sensors to be labelled. I've never seen one for a diesel. Perhaps you can buy through a European Nissan dealer?

t

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Here is the link to the actual thread on this topic on the Russian Path forums:
http://www.club-nissan.ru/forums/showthread.php?t=52606

sashasolar

Postby sashasolar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:44 pm

slavabon wrote:Here is the link to the actual thread on this topic on the Russian Path forums:
http://www.club-nissan.ru/forums/showthread.php?t=52606
Hi!
I think this topic is about using a diesel fuel separator. This thing is installed before the fuel pump and works in continuous mode to separate water and other liquid inclusions from diesel fuel. It does not reduce sulfur content, thus will still cause the DPF filter to be clogged...

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”