hail damage and rust

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

hail damage and rust

Postby disallow » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:54 am

hey all,

We had a hail storm here the other night, and I just got the insurance co to look at it yesterday. Total estimate was $2000. Not too bad. My 08 civic was parked right beside the pathy, and it got it really bad. The pathy has almost no roof damage, some dents in the hood and on the leading edge of the curb side fender and top of the liftgate. The estimator indicated he was impressed as to how well it stood up.

The estimator was pretty nice. I was getting a little upset becuase I couldn't see many dents, even though I was certain I had seen quite a few before I made the claim. The estimator said that since my truck was black, that on really hot days, the small dents would probably end up resolving themselves. He still gave me full value for the repair/refinish, but suggested I wait a while to get the repair done to allow some of the other dents to 'heal'.

Anyone with more experience speak to this?

On another note, I now have the following rust spots on my truck:

Rear street side wheel well
Liftgate beside the chrome above the license plate
Bottom lip of liftgate
Roof - paint chip thats been left to the elements

Most of these are bubbled paint, and not actual rust yet. Kind of surprised, my truck is only an 05. My 98 civic took almost 8 years before it showed any signs of corrosion. Its an unfortunate fact of living where I live. winters are long and hard, and lots of road salt is put on the roads.

Any other common places to find bubbled paint? I'm hoping I can get a decent deal on repairing these rust spots when I have it in for refinishing for the hail damage.

Usually I do a spot repair myself, remove corroded paint/metal, apply rust proof primer, use spray bomb to cover it up. On wheel wells and edges of panels, this usually works really well. I wouldn't try this in the middle of a panel though, for instance the license plate chrome area would be iffy for this repair.

Thanks
t

JC

Did you ever get the rust fixed?

Postby JC » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:00 am

Just bought a '97 and the body is in great shape except for significant rust damage over the right rear wheel well. Are there kits out there to replace a section, or do you need to replace the entire panel? Thanks for any help.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”