Armada Control Arm Swap

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

JEEPR

Armada Control Arm Swap

Postby JEEPR » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:12 pm

Just wanted to get a thread going to describe everything involved in doing the Armada UCA and LCA swap. I have to apologize because I've had jeeps (buggies really) for the last 8 years so this IFS and IRS is a little new to me.

From what I understand, we can swap the UCA and LCAs from the Armada to end up with a 6" wider track and more suspension travel. The axle shafts would have to swapped as well because the Armada CAs are wider than ours. I'm assuming that there will be some steering modifications as well.

Questions:
1. From what I've read, about 3" of lift is the max because you start to run into alignment probs. T or F?

2. Would there be any advantage to using UCAs from total Chaos or PRG?

3. What steering mods are needed?

4. What am I missing?

bigmankz

Re: Armada Control Arm Swap

Postby bigmankz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:32 pm

JEEPR wrote:Just wanted to get a thread going to describe everything involved in doing the Armada UCA and LCA swap. I have to apologize because I've had jeeps (buggies really) for the last 8 years so this IFS and IRS is a little new to me.

From what I understand, we can swap the UCA and LCAs from the Armada to end up with a 6" wider track and more suspension travel. The axle shafts would have to swapped as well because the Armada CAs are wider than ours. I'm assuming that there will be some steering modifications as well.

Questions:
1. From what I've read, about 3" of lift is the max because you start to run into alignment probs. T or F?

2. Would there be any advantage to using UCAs from total Chaos or PRG?

3. What steering mods are needed?

4. What am I missing?
Are you talking about the front suspnsion of rear as well? I have never thought of this swap. very interesting as I recently started realising that I need more travel on my PF. I searched the net and could not find and kits or parts that will allow me to do that.

Because of that I started thinking of making antiroll bars disconnectable. I have seen few videos when they disconnected those bars and the articulation of the suspension improved tremendously.

as to your questions I am sure that allignment can be sorted out the easiest out of other issues that may rise: Steering can be sorted out by longer inner rods. front upper arms from total chaos or calmini will definately improve the situation. I am thinking that the most problems will be from shfts as they are probbely not only longer on Armada but are thicker and have different number of splines. another issues is how to use the longer travel arms with shocks. Stock shock won't help for sure and one must test all kinds of shocks to make use of that travel.

Overall, IMHO to have wider stance I'd go with diffrent wheels and may be spacers. To increase travel I wouild and actually thinking of diconnectible antiroll bars.

JEEPR

Postby JEEPR » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:57 am

The front and rear diffs on the LE V-8 pathfinder are the same as the ones on the Armada- So spline count shouldn't be an issue. As far as shocks, PRG sell plenty of coilover shocks that would work.

The Frontier guys have been swapping in the Titan front LCA and UCAs for a wider track and better articulation for a while.

From what I've read, doing the rear IFS swap from an Armada should be pretty straight forward too.

I just wish there was someone out there with some first-hand experience that could shed some light on the situation...

I don't mind doing fab work, I would just like to know what I'm in for first.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”