Bike Rack - Roof vs Hitch Mount

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AZ_Path

Bike Rack - Roof vs Hitch Mount

Postby AZ_Path » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:05 am

What are your thoughts on roof vs. hitch mount bike racks? My first thought is that the hitch mount is easlier to use because I won't have to lift the bikes up to the roof nor would I need to take the front tire off. The only advantage I see to the roof mount is that it leaves the hitch free for towing or other accessories and the back is more accessable. Thoughts from those of you who have either type?

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Re: Bike Rack - Roof vs Hitch Mount

Postby Triffid » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:21 am

AZ_Path wrote:What are your thoughts on roof vs. hitch mount bike racks? My first thought is that the hitch mount is easlier to use because I won't have to lift the bikes up to the roof nor would I need to take the front tire off. The only advantage I see to the roof mount is that it leaves the hitch free for towing or other accessories and the back is more accessable. Thoughts from those of you who have either type?
The hitch works much better unless you are towing...... Triffid

Roadking

Postby Roadking » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:58 am

I use a Thule hitch mount bike rack and highly recommend it. It is easy to take the rack off when you don't need it (especially if you buy the new aluminum hitch rack). My buddy has an Exterra with the roof rack and we need to carry a small stepladder to put the bikes on top!

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:36 pm

I have both. I have a Thule 4 bike hitch rack, and a Yakima roof rack set up for three bikes. I only use the roof rack when I tow. I must be getting weak in my old age, but it is hard to get three bikes up there, especially the middle one. It is also like having a parachute on top of your car on the freeway. The hitch rack is very convenient, but it has its' tradeoffs like you have already mentioned.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:58 pm

Hitch all the way. You just can't beat the convenience.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:02 am

I use a Yakima hitch mount & couldn't be happier. Easy to install & remove. I used to use Thule carriers on the top, but it was seriously a pain getting the bikes up there.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:01 pm

I have both the Yakima roof rack and hitch rack.

Go with the hitch rack. Less wind drag and a lot easier. I only use the roof top rack if I have to tow anything, which is not too often.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:17 pm

I have a rear hitch 4 bike Thule rack. It's very easily accessible, and with a pull of a pin, it folds away easily so you can access your back door. I found the roof rack to be a bit of a pain because of the height of the vehicle.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:38 pm

It's unanimous. Thanks for all the replies.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”