Oil Consumption

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

cbacarisse

Oil Consumption

Postby cbacarisse » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:19 pm

I was reading in the owners manual of the new PF and it said oil consumption is normal between oil changes. Is this typical for Nissan's? I've never had a car I needed to add oil to between changes, except for an old AMC Eagle that I learned to drive on in the mid-80's.

Also, I found no mention or recommendation of synthetic oils or blends. I usually just use the recommended oil, but since this engine actually required Super-unleaded gas I thought I might go the synthetic blend route also. Any recommendations?

Btw, I tried to do a forum search on this topic before I asked, but didn't really find an answer one way or the other.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 pm

SE-OR @ ~48,000 miles & SE @ ~12,000 mi
regular fuel used in both
no oil consumption detected at all :D
oil & filter changes every 3,000 mi w/Mobil 1 & OEM filter

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Oil Consumption

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:52 pm

cbacarisse wrote:I was reading in the owners manual of the new PF and it said oil consumption is normal between oil changes. Is this typical for Nissan's? I've never had a car I needed to add oil to between changes, except for an old AMC Eagle that I learned to drive on in the mid-80's.

Also, I found no mention or recommendation of synthetic oils or blends. I usually just use the recommended oil, but since this engine actually required Super-unleaded gas I thought I might go the synthetic blend route also. Any recommendations?

Btw, I tried to do a forum search on this topic before I asked, but didn't really find an answer one way or the other.
all manufacturers put this in their manual. Its their 'out' for warranty work. Usually they mention a threshold before they consider it warrantable.

In todays day and age, I'm surprised they still do this. None of my vehicles consume oil, and if they started, I would get rid of them.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:55 pm

cbacarisse wrote: I usually just use the recommended oil, but since this engine actually required Super-unleaded gas I thought I might go the synthetic blend route also.
Super-unleaded seems to be recommended for maximum performance, and perhaps for heavy loads such as towing. Both of my R51s run fine on regular.
But why would you base your oil choice on the type of fuel that you might choose?

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:34 am

dryart wrote:
cbacarisse wrote: I usually just use the recommended oil, but since this engine actually required Super-unleaded gas I thought I might go the synthetic blend route also.
Super-unleaded seems to be recommended for maximum performance, and perhaps for heavy loads such as towing. Both of my R51s run fine on regular.
But why would you base your oil choice on the type of fuel that you might choose?
I was just curious if the engine was finicky enough to need super-unleaded that maybe synthetic would run better in it. No other reason.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:58 am

i honestly can't tell the difference performance-wise, mileage-wise, or in any other manner, between the three types of fuel available where i live.
for that reason, i use the least expensive regular.
as far as my choice of oil goes, i chose what i use because of it's good reputation, moderate price, and good availability. i believe that synthetic lubricants are more efficient than other lubricants, and that they are superior in terms of engine longevity and reliability.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:49 am

I've never detected loss of oil on the dipstick (have never added any between oil changes at 6k miles). At oil changes, however, I always get significantly less than 5 qts out (incl. what I pour out of the old filter), although I put the recommended 5 3/8 in. The truck has done this since brand new.

Yes, the engine does (and should) consume some oil. You want a very small amount to lubricate the piston rings in the cylinder, and some will remain on the cylinder walls and burn up. However, the oil consumption should not be enough to where you need to add oil between changes to keep the level up.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”