HVAC on auto question

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

HVAC on auto question

Postby skinny2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:28 pm

Hello, noob to the club and I couldn't find anything in the search. I just purchased a 2008 SE with 15k miles. Having a little trouble figuring out the HVAC and wondering if this is normal or if I have an issue.

It's been around 20°F lately and the heater just doesn't seem right. If I run it in auto mode, the fan never goes above level 4 on the display screen. I'm familiar with auto HVAC systems and realize it won't blow hard until the engine warms up. However, once the fan kicks on it only goes to 4 (out of 7 I think) and overall this thing takes quite awhile to heat up. Also, even with the temp set to 90 the air just isn't that warm coming out the bottom vents. I have generally been running the temp at 77 just to be comfortable and in all my other vehicles i'm usually sweating out at anything over 68. Just curious what experiences others have had here.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:52 am

Played around some more this morning and figured out why the blower would not go to full on auto. I was turning the A/C off. For some reason if it's in auto and the A/C is off, the blower will only go to level 4. I turned the A/C on and it moves the blower to full-blast. I have no idea why it would do that but either way I had the temp set to 77 and was barely warm for my 45 minute commute. Does this sound normal to anyone?

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:07 am

The ac is used to help dry the air, so it doesn't fog up the windows. That's the only thing I can think of, that the system is trying to prevent.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 am

Yeah, our Honda does the same thing. A/C is always on when it's in Auto. Does wonders for gas mileage I'm sure. I usually override it in the Honda also to save some fuel unless I'm having problems with moisture on the windows. I usually don't get along with these auto systems anyway and tend to run them in manual mode. I have a remote start on the Pathfinder and like the idea of leaving it on Auto so the heat will kick on once the engine warms a bit.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”