Roof channels cracking and rusting!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

08 pathy

Roof channels cracking and rusting!

Postby 08 pathy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:21 pm

My 08 rain channels are cracking and rusting the whole length of the truck.
I have heard this is a common problem, just wanted to know if there were anybody here with the same problem and if so have they gotten it fixed... Also I live in florida and truck is garage kept and waxed...

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Mine is doing it too. I cleaned up whatever rust I could find and applies rust inhibitor to all the areas where primer was exposed and especially where the rust was showing. Once it dried up I applied a nice coat of touch-up paint along the existing cracks. I will check again in the summer. Being up on the roof its hard to catch. It looks like those rain channels are rubberized and are painted over. Either due to body flex or simple expansion an shrinking of that rubberized material is causing the paint to crack.

Npath

Re: Roof channels cracking and rusting!

Postby Npath » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:30 pm

08 pathy wrote:My 08 rain channels are cracking and rusting the whole length of the truck.
I have heard this is a common problem, just wanted to know if there were anybody here with the same problem and if so have they gotten it fixed... Also I live in florida and truck is garage kept and waxed...
Got mine fixed before it started rusting. Dealer covered it and total cost was under $900!!

It was out of warranty, but the dealer I bought the Pathfinder from covered it under good faith.

It cracked again less than a year later, I thought it was under warranty and later found out again... repaired under good faith so they repaired it for free. They could have called and told me they can't fix it, but they did.

I was very happy and bought the body shop a gift.

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:05 am

I would think anything paint related would be covered under warranty.

Do you guys cover yours at night?

danny

Postby danny » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:49 pm

keep an eye out on your a pillars along the windshield. my paint is flaking off there also.

Npath

Postby Npath » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:48 pm

cbacarisse wrote:I would think anything paint related would be covered under warranty.

Do you guys cover yours at night?
no, mine is out in the open. As for the pillar peeling, nothing. Only issue with paint is the rain channels.

I wonder if they did this on purpose, make the consumer spend money to fix rain channels. My 95 Pathfinder SE doesn't have this BS problem.

Khult

Postby Khult » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm new to the forum. The paint peeled off my gutters down to the primer, no rust. 56K miles. Garage Kept, Waxed, Etc. I called Nissan NA and they good willed a roof painting and gave me a rental for a few days. I did play the 6 time Nissan owner card with VIN#'s.

scarelli

Postby scarelli » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 pm

I have a 2010 Pathfinder.

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved for this model Year?

Npath

Postby Npath » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 pm

scarelli wrote:I have a 2010 Pathfinder.

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved for this model Year?
more than likely not as it isn't a big safety issue.

It's a PITA, but every 3 months, take a look and if any cracks, cover it up with touch up paint... if out of warranty.

flaMtneer

Postby flaMtneer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:13 pm

Khult wrote:I'm new to the forum. The paint peeled off my gutters down to the primer, no rust. 56K miles. Garage Kept, Waxed, Etc. I called Nissan NA and they good willed a roof painting and gave me a rental for a few days. I did play the 6 time Nissan owner card with VIN#'s.
Congrats! You did better than I did. My '04 (bought new May '05) is peeling all over the top of the liftgate. I'm also a 6 time Nissan owner and told Nissan NA this (didn't give them VINs, but could have). I currently own 2 (an '04 Path and an '06 Path)...anyway - took to local dealer for estimate and "diagnosis" as directed by Nissan NA, turned this info over to Nissan, they responded today (about a week later) that they're "so sorry, but are unable to provide any assistance at this time". The guy sounded like he was reading from a script. It was actually the response I half expected - until he got to the end. He was reading a list of reasons why they were "unable to provide assistance" and his last one was something like: "and Due to your limited service work at the dealership". I stopped him and made him repeat that - I maintain my vehicles RELIGIOUSLY and have done ALL required maintenance with everything at a Nissan dealer other than some routine O/F changes. I also wash and wax regularly. For this guy (without ever seeing the vehicle!) to insinuate that this was due to improper maintenance really ticked me off. At this point Nissan has lost a long-time customer. I'm actually more bummed than angry... (Sorry for the rant and I'm glad to see someone had some success!)
PIC:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”