Finally got it good and stuck

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

amr40509

Finally got it good and stuck

Postby amr40509 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:19 am

Well it finally happened, I got it stuck big time.

I picked up a U-Haul trailer (5x9 open trailer - listed as about 1200lbs empty) yesterday and went out to a friend's farm to get a load of dirt for some fill in my yard. Figured it was a good day for it because it rained a couple of days ago and things would still be soft. On the way in, I was in 2wd and had no problems and the ground didn't seem really soft at all.

I loaded up a LOT of dirt -- I'd guess in the 2000-2500lbs range from having picked up sand at the quarry before and having it weighed on the way out. I started out going up hill (clicked it into 4High) and didn't have any problems, but could feel the weight this time. On the way out I had to pass his small pond, which apparently had overflowed in the last rain. On the way in I was only leaving 1" tire marks on the path here, but on the way out the trailer w/ it's skinny tires SUNK big time. At first I figured I'd just back up down the hill -- but the trailer was so bogged down that I couldn't even back up. The trialer also had no jack on it, so I couldn't unhook it. Popped it in 4LO and worked for a hour w/ the shovel and wedging things under the tires, no luck. Went to the farm next door -- turns out the husband was gone for the day, taking the tractor for it's spring servicing at the deal..so I was SOL there too.

Finally called my buddy and had him come in his Old's Bravada (all wheel drive) and pull me backwards the 5' I needed to go to get the trailer back on dry ground.

It was a little embarrassing to have to get pulled out by an Olds -- but I drove on up to the main road and waited there. When he didn't show up I walked back down and he was stuck (wasn't even muddy there, just a little wet). I drove back down (trailer still attached) and pulled him (strap hooked to the trailer) back up to the road w/ him spinning all the way.

The moral of the story is -- General Grabbers suck in the mud w/ you put a few thousand pounds on a trailer behind the truck.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:40 am

At least you weren't alone in getting stuck. I'm waiting on the grubbers to wear out and put something worth while on there.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”