Problems with Bose Stereo in '05 LE, Need Help PLEASE!!!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Ninjaman

Problems with Bose Stereo in '05 LE, Need Help PLEASE!!!

Postby Ninjaman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:12 pm

A few mornings last week when I started the Pathfinder to let it warm up before I left work it started making crackling noises out of what seemed to be the right front dash speaker, though it could have been in the door speaker as well. I thought oh crap the first time it did it, but after 30 seconds or so it stopped, and the stereo operated as it always has.

That was UNTIL this morning. When I went out to start the vehicle the crackling noise was very LOUD and when it stopped none of the speakers on the front channels will play at all. I researched it a little on the internet today at work, and even talked to a few shops that work on factory bose equipment. They are all saying my front channels on the amp have fried. It sounds logical enough, but I still wanted to see if anyone here had had this happen with their pathfinder. I don't want to shell out the coin to have the amp repaired, or replaced with one out of a wrecked PF if that isn't what is wrong. I still have the rear channels, but I have very little faith in it all holding up. I though about just getting one out of a wrecked PF and swapping it. That way I wouldn't have to completely do without tunes like I would if I sent the other amp off to be diagnosed / repaired.

Any input will be appreciated because little crap like this drives me nuts!!!

Also I've already disconnected the battery to "reset" the head unit, and I checked to make sure all the connectors are plugged into the amp securely. They feel good and tight, so now I am out of ideas???????

Npath

Re: Problems with Bose Stereo in '05 LE, Need Help PLEASE!!!

Postby Npath » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Here's an idea...

since the rear speakers are still working, swap the front speaker wires with the rears and see what happens.

admiral

Postby admiral » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Before buying a new amp or getting it repaired. I would look more into it and make sure its not the head unit. I beleive the amp is under the drivers seat. Did you check the wires coming from the head unit for signal? Are you still covered under warranty?

Ninjaman

Postby Ninjaman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 pm

I agree guys, I'd like to dive a little deeper into this and verify that it is indeed the amp and not the head unit. Even though all the bose gurus are telling me that the loud crackling is the amp, and that if the amp was stable a signal loss from the head unit would result in the sound coming and going, but none of the loud crackling and sizzling sounds.

I've only got one spot that I can somewhat easily troubleshoot from, and that is where the big plug goes into the amp. The input wires from the head unit are in that plug. I've never used a meter to check the output of a stereo, but I will do a few searches on google and see what is the best way to get a true reading.

If anyone else has any ideas feel free to post them up, I want to resolve this asap.

Oh and one more thing, the shop in Florida that does the Bose repairs said they'd check the amp and if it checked out there would be no charge. All I'd be out was shipping to and fro. So I'll dig around for a few days and if I come up empty handed I'll pull the amp out and ship it out.

Thanks again for the input, much appreciated.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:24 am

Check all of your connections from the amp to the head unit. Something could have easily come loose, which would also cause the symptoms you describe. Don't just look & see if everything is connected, pry off each connector & look at the actual pins, etc. I've had individual pins that were never seated fully & came loose over time.

Ninjaman

Postby Ninjaman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:55 pm

NVSteve wrote:Check all of your connections from the amp to the head unit. Something could have easily come loose, which would also cause the symptoms you describe. Don't just look & see if everything is connected, pry off each connector & look at the actual pins, etc. I've had individual pins that were never seated fully & came loose over time.
I did just that, and what I found, or think I found, is that the largest cable going to the amp seemed really tight to me. No slack at all, and though the plug was plugged all the way in, I pulled a little slack in the cable and worked the plug back and forth. After I did that I checked the front channels and they are working. :) Not only are they working but the entire stereo sounds better. So I guess even though it was plugged in enough that the retainer was holding it, it still wasn't 100% seated. Either that or the cable being so tight had it pulled off a little on one side.

It hasn't made the crackling or sizzling noise anymore either. I will keep a close eye on this and if it does it again I will dig deeper. As for now I will leave well enough alone because it's working. :)

admiral

Postby admiral » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:31 pm

Good to hear it was a simple fix. Those are the best ones. :D no pun intended 8)

Ninjaman

Postby Ninjaman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Well I guess it wasn't a simple fix after all. The problem is back, and I dug into it pretty far today. I am still undecided as to what it really is??? Everyone that is in the know says it sounds like the amp is going out. The more I think about it, I am leaning in that direction myself. I dug into the wiring harness and pulled the kick panel off and unhooked ALL the plugs that junction there. Everything is so erratic I can't make any sense of it, so I think I am going to bite the bullet and replace the amp as soon as I can find a decent deal on one. Anyone know where I can get one at a decent price???????

pilotgeg

Postby pilotgeg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 am

You can buy a pretty nice aftermarket stereo for your Pathfinder that will most likely be as good as the Bose system. The downside is if you have the rear entertainment, it would not work with the new stereo. I always go to www.crutchfield.com for research. You can put in your year, model, make, and options and it will tell you what will fit.

I'd say you can get a very nice upgrade for $200.00 or less.

Ninjaman

Postby Ninjaman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 am

Still looking for an amp if anyone has a lead on one.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”