Running wires through the firewall

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

smjk75

Running wires through the firewall

Postby smjk75 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 am

I'm installing a Cobra 800 watt inverter and was wondering if anyone has run wires through their firewall. What do you think is the shortest route from the battery to the passenger door side under the glove box. Need to fit 2-4 gauge wires. :?:

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:20 am

i have not done any wiring through the firewall in this vehicle, but you should try to locate an existing hole to wire through. it is always better to use an existing hole because the edges will be painted from the factory.

if you cant locate a hole large enough to accommodate the wires, and you have to drill a new hole, be sure to use a grommet, and seal the bare metal edge of the hole to prevent rusting.

good luck, let us know how you do it!

~mike

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 am

I went thru the drivers side of the fire wall to run an 8 guage power cable for an amp . It aint the shortest route from the battery but it seemed easier than trying to route around the a/c heater box on the passenger side.
Anyway, between the brake booster and the left fender, I found a Factory installed rubber grommet/ plug. It had no wires running thru it, so I drilled a hole thru the grommet and ran my amp wire. I dont know if it is big enough for 2 to 4 guage wire but you might be able to easily drill the existing hole to the sze you need.

smjk75

Postby smjk75 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 am

sounds like a safe bet going thru an existing hole. i'll check the drivers side BMXpath and get the drill out :shock: thanks for the tips.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:05 am

BMXPath wrote:...Anyway, between the brake booster and the left fender, I found a Factory installed rubber grommet/ plug. It had no wires running thru it, so I drilled a hole thru the grommet and ran my amp wire. I dont know if it is big enough for 2 to 4 guage wire but you might be able to easily drill the existing hole to the sze you need.
This is the same thing I did when running the power for the Ham radio. I'll try and take some pics later on.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:47 am

smjk,

What did you end up doing for your wires?

I recently rewired my stereo amp and used a larger guage wire thru the firewall. When I removed the factory grommet by the brake booster, I realized I had forgotten the size of the stock hole in the firewall. It must be at least a 1/2 an inch in diameter, so I imagine it will work for your needs.

smjk75

Postby smjk75 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:07 pm

The 4 gauge wires I got were thick about 5/8" each. I was short on time so I drilled the existing hole you described to 1" with a grommet and the other wire couldn't fit so I cut a silt in the rubber boot that's next to the hole I drilled larger (hope this makes sense). Everything ended up working except the wires were a little short. Currently driving to Colorado from San Diego so gonna have to fix it up when I get settled. Thanks BMXPath for finding that hole it really helped.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”