squeaking in reverse?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jasond

Postby jasond » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:47 pm

I just can across this problem in all forward gears . i thought it was a u joint so my friend a mechanic took it to his shop today and cant figure it out . He said u joints / drive shaft look fine , he is worried its the transfer case (wobble in front shaft) wtf. 96k. mi. If anyone finds out what this is pl;ease post .

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:51 am

Tech wrote:check the rear shaft. Especially if you can't duplicate it on the hoist with the suspension sag. You may find it's INSIDE the rear shaft itself (some are different), if it's not the joints. If you price out the OEM shaft - you'll FREAK!
BINGO!
This is exactly what happened to my Path at a hair under 60k (so, very very lucky). Happened to both front and rear shafts at the same time so it sounded like a binder issue redardless of the direction I was traveling.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Seems the easiest diagnostic test for me would be to remove the drive shafts one at a time, starting with the rear, and see if the noise goes away.

I've already determined that rolling backwards in Neutral does not result in hearing noise, so this may be the next obvious test.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Well it appears the problem has been resolved. Sure enough, my issue seems to have been bad rear U-joint. This is after the fact that I already replaced the front a while back.

The noises got real bad today. To the point where I had to turn around on my way back from lunch, and come back home. But got the job done, and she seems all better now.

Agent-O

2006 pathfinder squeaks kinda like rubber NOT metal

Postby Agent-O » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks to all the helpful info I received when trying to find help on here!

NOW its time to give BACK!

My 2006 pathfinder has 164000 miles on it and so far has served me well!

Problem was it started squeaking FROM the REAR when in gear driving Forward but would go away after I exceeded 20 MPH.. it did not do it in reverse!

I jacked up the vehicle and as far as I could tell was the drive shaft was TIGHT with no abnormal slop! There was no evidence of bad u Joints with play. My entire drive train had no leaks or ( We park in a garage and I check for spots on the floor weekly! )

The rear brakes was fine too!

I did notice the 2 pressed in rear carrier mounts/bushings that attaches to the rear differential was kinda bad so I replaced them.. NO GO!

I noticed that the squeaks were rotational and only did it when the car was ON and in GEAR.. so jacking up the vehicle and manually turning the rear wheels in gear did NOTHING! Apparently the wheels must be in GEAR and turning at a higher RPM!

FINALLY I removed the rear drive shaft.. it only takes 15 minutes with TWO 17mm wrenches.

After I had the shaft I rotated the U-Joints and I found that rubber squeak! the U-Joints
did NOT have any play or slop at all, in fact they was STIFT..

This happened the same day I took some friends into the desert to look at a home on a very dirty back road( I'm a realtor too).. So I'm guessing dirt was building up over time that locked up the bearings in the U-joints.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”