Question for the Techies

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mar1
Sponsored Member

Question for the Techies

Postby mar1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 am

Hi guys,

after i blew my water pump, the dealership insisted i remove the air intake from the system, and said that the water pump blew from too much overheating caused by the air intake.

i didnt buy that and kept the K&N.

next service the guys saw the intake still there and gave me "the look" and since then i feel the car is a bit deader, like its not taking in enough air. it even sounds choked.

black carbon on the exhaust is starting to build up as well, and i definitely feel a loss of power.

any ideas ?

cant take it to a decent mechanic cause its still under warranty and those f*ckers want any excuse to void it.

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:42 pm

is this just a K&N drop in filter or a completely different intake system?
If its just the drop in kind change it back to the oem filter before you take it in to get service.
I have had the k&n drop in filter in mine for 2.5 years and havent had any problems because of it...nor has the dealership given me any trouble about it...

what year / trim do you have?

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Question for the Techies

Postby disallow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:12 pm

mar1nasr wrote:Hi guys,

after i blew my water pump, the dealership insisted i remove the air intake from the system, and said that the water pump blew from too much overheating caused by the air intake.

i didnt buy that and kept the K&N.

next service the guys saw the intake still there and gave me "the look" and since then i feel the car is a bit deader, like its not taking in enough air. it even sounds choked.

black carbon on the exhaust is starting to build up as well, and i definitely feel a loss of power.

any ideas ?

cant take it to a decent mechanic cause its still under warranty and those f*ckers want any excuse to void it.
Make sure they didn't stuff a rag in the filter or something... Sounds like its running rich if you get carbon deposits...

t

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:12 pm

I use the K&N drop in also in stock air box, and no problems. I use to use a Airaid in my Ram hemi truck, and was not thrilled about it, so I reinstalled the OEM air box and use the k&n drop in also and truck runs better, GO FIGURE. I think the after market air intakes are a waste of money.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:07 pm

i've always been suspicious of "oiled-element" air filters causing oil contamination in the intake tract, which may result in throttle body or sensor issues. saw it all the time in the motorcycle industry.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:24 am

dryart wrote:i've always been suspicious of "oiled-element" air filters causing oil contamination in the intake tract, which may result in throttle body or sensor issues. saw it all the time in the motorcycle industry.
well i can say running a drop in filter oil based k & n in my 06 pathfinder the oil has no effect on clogging the intake, i pulled the o2 sensor about a month back and it was pretty clean. I have a k&n short ram air intake on my 05 toyota matrix xrs and that is oiled to same story no clogging clean throttle body. After you oil it let it dry, dont just oil and throw it together and dont saturate the thing in oil.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:12 am

It's not usually the intake that the oil hurts, it's the MAF sensor. And that will affect power and fuel burn. Mainly an OVER-oiling issue but it can happen. My problem with the oiled filters is they always show up on oil analysis as additional contaminants and wear metals. Not a lot and usually still within spec, but more dirt is more dirt. I stopped using them years ago and just can't come up with enough advantage. Why the dealer has such an issue with it...I don't know. I've heard Nissan dealers are typically a bit peculiar...but I'm not a fan of dealers anyway and likely won't be visiting unless I have a warranty issue. I haven't heard anything bad about my nearest dealer, but it's still not convenient to use them for service.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 am

cheers guys,

got the V6-4.0 with the full K&N intake, not just the filter.

i air-clean it every couple weeks, havent oiled it since i got it though (almost a year back) but it still has a reddish color.

the hole just at the end is where the air sensor goes in, is that the MAF and how can i check if its oiled or not?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:21 am

I haven't looked much under the hood of mine yet (just got it in late Dec.) but that looks like a typical MAF port. Sometimes you can see a film on the sensor if it's overoiled and they make a cleaner for them but you have to be very very careful. MAF's are very sensitive and figure a couple benji's if they're f'd up beyond cleaning.

dmasini

Postby dmasini » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:01 am

If you notice oil on the MAF sensor lightly clean it with electrical cleaner on a Q-Tip. Did this every now and again with an intake I had on my old Explorer and never had problems. After you do this try re-setting the computer so the car re-learns the air flow.

I've had a K&N intake on mine for awhile now and while I haven't noticed any real gains it certainly isn't sluggish either. And it makes for a nice purr when I get on it. :)

johnathanromero

Postby johnathanromero » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:33 am

I love my AFE intake, uses a dry air filter that does not use any oil. k&n intakes are crap IMO, and the oil you have to use on them only causes build up on the MAF and your throttle body over time which hurts performance. The Voilant intake is great as well, but a bit more $$$. IMO stay away from the k&n, if you dont oil them they dont work properly due to their design requires them to be oiled to work right.

Stew

Postby Stew » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Anybody have any experience with the Nismo cold air intake?

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:19 am

Hey guys, thought i'd just bring this up,,didnt want to start a new thread and this was the closest i found..

Anyways, when i did my 40,000km service,the service centre was supposed to replace my airfilter, but they didnt..and when did i find out about this well not till a couple of days ago when im about reaching my 50,000km service..I just had the hood open and just wanted to check on the filter to see what state it was in,and then i found out. Ive already informed the service advisor as well regarding the matter, but now i also feel a slight hesitation or lack of power between 2500-4000RPM range, It still flies like a B***h if i rev her more but the lower kick/torquey feeling isnt how it used to be...Could it be cos of a simple clogged up air filter?? and what else could i do to get that torquey feeling back up..

Obviously they're gonna change the oil and filer as well,but apart from this are there any other things i should tell them?? Was wondering if i should also do a flush and injector cleaning may be??

Thanks, cheers..

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 am

coom1986 wrote:Hey guys, thought i'd just bring this up,,didnt want to start a new thread and this was the closest i found..

but now i also feel a slight hesitation or lack of power between 2500-4000RPM range, It still flies like a B***h if i rev her more but the lower kick/torquey feeling isnt how it used to be...Could it be cos of a simple clogged up air filter?? and what else could i do to get that torquey feeling back up..
why not replace the air filter and see how it runs? :wink:
i'm sure they would love to do an injector cleaning for you, but it may be unnecessary
and injector cleaning may have no effect on the hesitation/power lack
too bad they screwed up on the air filter
that kind of "oversight" really kills my confidence :roll:
did they charge you for an air filter?

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:06 am

NISMO has an intake system almost exactly the same , so how would that run Hotter ?? They dont know what they are talking about !! The only thing I can think of is the MAF being dirty, but that causes a lean running issue , and usually a CEL and lean code in the computer .....

Oh and you dont want to air clean the filter, just leave it alone , clean it every 30K miles ... use the K&N filter cleaning kit and follow the instructions ... I have never seen a MAF issue with e properly cleaned K&N and I use them on all of my vehicles and many of my customers !!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”