Transmission Chattering at low RPMs

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

myriad46

Transmission Chattering at low RPMs

Postby myriad46 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:53 am

Ok Folks, this is a weird one.

When I am traveling 30-40 mph, and I put a little bit of gas into her, just to get up a gentle hill, something int the drive train vibrates like I am going over a subtle washboard. You can feel it in the floor, as well as the gas pedal. The truck stays at about 1100rpm without accelerating. When I put a little more gas into it, it sometimes clunks, sometimes not, the vibration stops and it accelerates as normal.

My mechanic buddy was trying to explain to me about a clutch in the transfer case that could be sticking rather than grabbing when at low speeds, but he wasn't sure how Nissan's are set up. Any advice?

Thanks.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm

check all the U-joints, drive line and half shafts..could be one or so are dry.. what is the mileage on your Pathfinder.?

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:49 pm

That would actually make sense, as I have also been getting a subtle clunk over bumps and sometimes turning.

I've got about 55K on it, but a warranty till 100K. Time to make an appointment.

Thanks.

kramer

Postby kramer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:57 pm

Inspect your trans fluid, drain it all if you have to. Slight chance you have the dreaded transmission cooler leak in your rad which means your trans would be on its way out.

Khult

Postby Khult » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:19 pm

kramer wrote:Inspect your trans fluid, drain it all if you have to. Slight chance you have the dreaded transmission cooler leak in your rad which means your trans would be on its way out.
This happend to me. I felt the vibration as you described. I was at 62K miles, but my dealer got me a rebuilt transmission, no charge. I had to pay for the radiator though.

ByPath

Postby ByPath » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:46 pm

this sounds like tranny radiator leak!

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:06 am

I'll let you know, it's at the dealer right now.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:39 am

Hilarious. After I explained it to them, they call me a few hours later and inform me that my oil fill cap is loose and the heat shield around my oil filter needs new clips, which incidently is not covered by warranty (ha ha). I told him I was confused beucase I told him it felt like the transmission wasn't engaging or that sumthing was stuttering in the drive train. He said that's different than what I said in the morning and he read what he wrote down, "Customer states that at low speeds with light acceleration, it sounds like a rumble strip." Wow.

They are taking another look at it after I explained that a loose cap and heat shield will not prevent acceleration and make the entire truck shudder!!!

Why can't we talk to the mechanics? Seriously.

Khult

Postby Khult » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 pm

When I brought mine into my dealership with your same description and info on the problem I found all over the web. They agreed that I could be right and confirmed it a few hours later with a phone call. As I mentioned I was at about 62K miles so they covered a Rebuilt Tranny and made me pay for the radiator ($800 and Change). Mainly because I reported a rattle that was never located at my last service at 58K miles. While the rattle was not related to the tranny, they used it to battle Nissan N.A. for me to get the rebuilt tranny, saying the issue started before the end of the warranty.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

I brought it in for a rattle that I saw a TSB on for the power intake valve that rattles right at 2200RPM. They ended up replacing the timing chain tensioners. The rattle is still there, but I didn't push it because I got a new timing chain out of it.

I have the extended warranty even if I was past 60K, which I am not, so my only worry is that they won't be able to replicate it. Then I'll have to go in and do it for them, but then they'll have to keep it another day.

It just bothers me that I described it to my mechanic friend, who imediately had 2 different, power-train, related ideas and they come back with an oil fill cap and heat shield as the cause. The service writers have abbreviated my description of problems in the past, which in turn, delayed diagnosis by the mechanic.

ByPath

Postby ByPath » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:47 pm

the service tech's will do and say anything to make the fix cheap as possible, sure seems like they are trying to buy time so you excced your 50k miles 3 years standard power train warranty....who knows.

but they are not on your side that is for sure.
myriad46 wrote:I brought it in for a rattle that I saw a TSB on for the power intake valve that rattles right at 2200RPM. They ended up replacing the timing chain tensioners. The rattle is still there, but I didn't push it because I got a new timing chain out of it.

I have the extended warranty even if I was past 60K, which I am not, so my only worry is that they won't be able to replicate it. Then I'll have to go in and do it for them, but then they'll have to keep it another day.

It just bothers me that I described it to my mechanic friend, who imediately had 2 different, power-train, related ideas and they come back with an oil fill cap and heat shield as the cause. The service writers have abbreviated my description of problems in the past, which in turn, delayed diagnosis by the mechanic.

myriad46

UPDATE!!!

Postby myriad46 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:00 am

Well, I ended up driving it for them, and of course it would not happen with the tech in the car. Luckily I had it in for a control arm linkage also, so no "diagnostic fee."

Their thought is that the tranny is having trouble down-shifting in some conditions, or that a servo in the torque converter is having a hard time engaging. Either way, until it starts doing it on a more predictable basis, they can't warranty anything.

They checked the tranny and it was clean, so I guess it's not the dreaded radiator breach. I got another year and half or 40K on my extended, so plenty of time.

The "Oil fill" cover was not the cap on the top of the engine, they meant the little hatch on the skid plate to drain the oil was rattling, as well as the heat shield around the oil filter. Any body tighten that one up, or remove it before?

Khult

Postby Khult » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:19 am

My inspection of the tranny fluid look ok to me and a mechanic friend, however when the dealer checked it, they found traces of coolant. I was in the very early stages of the radiator/tranny failure. Just a heads up, I hope you do not have this issue. Good Luck.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”