remote Start

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

admiral

remote Start

Postby admiral » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:21 pm

I am looking to purchase a remote start for my 2006 Pathy. Does anyone know of one that works with the Nissan security system i.e. the chip on the key (I don't want to tape a key under my dash). Also is there one that works with the seat memories on the Pathy? Any suggestions.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:58 pm

This is the one that's on mine.

http://www.caralarm.com/MyCart/ProductD ... 0-EDP.aspx

The factory security seems to work fine with it. Range is great and seems to have a lot of adjustment features that I haven't figured out. I have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to run before shifting.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:39 pm

skinny2 wrote:I have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to run before shifting.
What's the point of the remote start if you still have to use the key to drive the thing? On second thought, I s'pose it's useful if you want to warm the cabin in cold weather without actually getting in to do a "key-start." Being in Houston, though, it's not something I'd care to throw money at.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:19 pm

SilverGhost wrote:
skinny2 wrote:I have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to run before shifting.
What's the point of the remote start if you still have to use the key to drive the thing? On second thought, I s'pose it's useful if you want to warm the cabin in cold weather without actually getting in to do a "key-start." Being in Houston, though, it's not something I'd care to throw money at.
Yeah, that's about all it's good for is heating/cooling before you take off. I use it in the winter to let it warm up for a minute or two unless it's really cold (below 20°F in my book) then I'll let it sit for 10-15 minutes. I likely wouldn't have bought it either, but the previous owner had it installed. Once temps get above freezing I have no intention of using it.

It would be a big security issue if the car could be driven away without the key. I don't think they make a system that doesn't require you insert key before driving off.

admiral

Postby admiral » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:24 pm

I checked out the link you posted skinny2. Does it work with your seat memories? I need that function to work so the wife doesn't have to manually readjust seats, mirros and pedals when she drives. Also I did not see an answer to the Nissan NVIS Vehicle Immobilizer issue does it use a module for this?

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:58 pm

In BC, Canada it's against the law to leave your car running without you in it. It's a part of the anti auto theft strategy along side of the BAIT CAR PROGRAM. Check out the website www.baitcar.com. It was created by the BC Municipal Police forces to combat skyrocketing auto thefts. It works great, and just wait till you see the videos of the thieves.

WWW.BAITCAR.COM

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:30 am

skinny2 wrote:I don't think they make a system that doesn't require you insert key before driving off.
I don't know about Nissan, but Acura, and probably Lexus and Infiniti, use a system that only requires you to have a key in your posession. As you approach the car, It'll unlock the doors and arm the push-button start feature. And it doesn't require a key in the ignition to be driven . Pretty damn cool, if you ask me.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:15 am

SilverGhost wrote:
skinny2 wrote:I don't think they make a system that doesn't require you insert key before driving off.
I don't know about Nissan, but Acura, and probably Lexus and Infiniti, use a system that only requires you to have a key in your posession. As you approach the car, It'll unlock the doors and arm the push-button start feature. And it doesn't require a key in the ignition to be driven . Pretty damn cool, if you ask me.
Actually, Nissan offers this on the Pathfinder as well. It's an option package on the SE and LE. They're one of the only non-luxury brands to offer it. For purposes of a remote starting system....anything aftermarket requires the key.

Admiral: Not sure why the memory seats/etc wouldn't work. They get their signal the same as the door locks which is programmed into the aftermarket system. My BIL has a similar system on his Grand Cherokee and the memory seats/mirror work with his remotes. We use his car when we fly in to visit her parents and every time I get back in the car I have to reset my seat/mirrors because when I unlock it moves them all around. GRRR

Mine has the Vehicle Immobilizer. Like I said you have to put the key in to move the vehicle and at that point it's all the factory system.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:59 am

yes but the key has to be within the inside of the car.

stick ur arm out the window with the key and the push-start wont work anymore.

its only good for not having to dig into ur pocket or purse after u get into the car.

remote start on the built-in push-button is an electricians nightmare. much easier to install on a standard ignition switch.

admiral

Postby admiral » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:03 pm

It seems this thread got side tracked. :lol: I am going to keep looking for a remote start, I am going to pick the brains of the people over at crutchfield to see what they know. Also at the dealership if I can find somebody knowledgeable on the matter.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:05 pm

my pathy came with one that is integrated into my FOB. I hit the lock button twice and the car turns on.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:34 am

admiral wrote:It seems this thread got side tracked. :lol: I am going to keep looking for a remote start, I am going to pick the brains of the people over at crutchfield to see what they know. Also at the dealership if I can find somebody knowledgeable on the matter.
My last post got sent to oblivion, but here is the jist:

I have a Prostart command start (sold at canadian tire here in canada). Installed by a friend who is a professional. Nice clean install, no messy wires, all soldered connections, and a proper immobilizer bypass (not a key taped under the dash).

Cost was $99 for the unit and remote, and $250 for installation including bypass. Also integrated with factory alarm.

See the following links for more info, feel free to send my buddy an email, I'm sure he would help.

http://www.autostart.ca/prostart/prod-en_CT-3400TW.php
http://thatcarguy.ca/

t

admiral

Postby admiral » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 pm

I have a Prostart command start (sold at canadian tire here in canada). Installed by a friend who is a professional. Nice clean install, no messy wires, all soldered connections, and a proper immobilizer bypass (not a key taped under the dash).

Cost was $99 for the unit and remote, and $250 for installation including bypass. Also integrated with factory alarm.

See the following links for more info, feel free to send my buddy an email, I'm sure he would help.

Thanks man the last question I have is on the seat memories for different key fobs. Does that work you said it works with the factory alarm, does it also work with the factory fob?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:37 pm

admiral wrote:

Thanks man the last question I have is on the seat memories for different key fobs. Does that work you said it works with the factory alarm, does it also work with the factory fob?
There is a function button on my remote. A good installer will be able to figure out what to hook up to under your dash in order to keep that functionality. Just make sure the starter unit you buy has additional buttons and functionality to support that.

The prostart unit I have might be able to. On my 08 civic I have a Compustart, and that one for sure has the capability. Its of a little higher quality, longer range, and was a couple extra bucks. ($500 for starter/alarm combo).

kranstar

Postby kranstar » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:08 am

kev1n wrote:my pathy came with one that is integrated into my FOB. I hit the lock button twice and the car turns on.
Hey, I just got a pathfinder and mine has the same feature. Do you happen to know the brand? I'd love to find a manual or something to find out more about it.

Thanks!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”