Rear diff and whole lot of metal chunks!

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Rear diff and whole lot of metal chunks!

Postby GOTGOO » Mon May 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Changed fluids in both diffs and the transfer case today only to find a whole lotta metal chunks on the rear diff plug(alot just spilled out with the fluid too)! They were all about the size of nerds candy (maybe some bigger ones) and laid out all together about the size of a half dollar.
I'm not worried yet just figured id start gathering info. Well i couldnt find exactly what rear diff gear ratio an 2005 s (base) 4X4 has. Its an R200 diff correct? It just flipped 82k miles and i plan to drive it till the wheels fall off so this will have to be taken care of sooner or later. What do you guys think and what are all my options for replacement gears? Thanks

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Ouch! Have you heard it growling as you drive?

It is an R200. As far as I've seen, all 4WD, V6 powered Pathfinder's had 3.36 gears. This is what the 2006 FSM has on this board, as well as my 2008 FSM. Maybe 2005 did something different.

I've taken a look when I've changed my fluid, and the rear diff looks pretty easy to drop. Just unbolt the driveshaft, unbolt the half shafts, and the diff should be held in by 4 bolts; two towards the front and two at the rear. I bet the cheapest and easiest thing would be to find a good used diff with matching gears and swap it in. You could rebuild your unit and install new gears and bearings yourself. But take it from me, that can be an even bigger pain.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 pm

08Datsun wrote:Ouch! Have you heard it growling as you drive?

It is an R200. As far as I've seen, all 4WD, V6 powered Pathfinder's had 3.36 gears. This is what the 2006 FSM has on this board, as well as my 2008 FSM. Maybe 2005 did something different.

I've taken a look when I've changed my fluid, and the rear diff looks pretty easy to drop. Just unbolt the driveshaft, unbolt the half shafts, and the diff should be held in by 4 bolts; two towards the front and two at the rear. I bet the cheapest and easiest thing would be to find a good used diff with matching gears and swap it in. You could rebuild your unit and install new gears and bearings yourself. But take it from me, that can be an even bigger pain.
No growling or noises as of yet thats why i'm not worried, but i'm sure in time it will get to that point. The pickings might be slim for a used one, but i'm gonna keep my eyes open. I think i have time to figure it out i'll just have to play nice so i don't make a bigger mess of it! Well thanks for the info!

Ryan503

Postby Ryan503 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:01 pm

Gotgoo,
Where's the transfer case? Is it between the rear and front diff? thanks

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Mon May 31, 2010 10:07 pm

Ryan503 wrote:Gotgoo,
Where's the transfer case? Is it between the rear and front diff? thanks
Well if you have 2 wheel drive there wont be one. So crawl under your pathy right about the middle behind the transmission you will find the transfer case. It will be the one with two drive shafts coming out of it going to front and rear!

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:53 pm

where is the fill plug for the front axle,? I see the drain plug but could not see the fill plug, I did my rear axle just fine,piece of cake.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 pm

KEVSTER wrote:where is the fill plug for the front axle,? I see the drain plug but could not see the fill plug, I did my rear axle just fine,piece of cake.
http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R5 ... ce/fwd.pdf
Maintenance section page MA-27 :wink:

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Found it.. me blind, the nissan skid plate was in my way of sight. so I changed the front axle gear oil today, not bad,, looked clean but it had that goo on the magnet. :roll: Funny , seems I put in more oil than what came out..at least it is done.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”