Did Nissan make a 2x4 OFFROAD SE?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sat May 15, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm shocked. :shock:

What exactly is the difference between SE and SE OFF ROAD?

I think I'm really confused.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Sat May 15, 2010 11:18 pm

wheels, shocks, and skid plates (maybe down hill assist, also?) pbby some other stuff as well

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun May 16, 2010 7:07 am

SPICOLI wrote:I'm shocked. :shock:

What exactly is the difference between SE and SE OFF ROAD?

I think I'm really confused.
This details the differences pretty well.......
Personally, I don't see the point in the SE OFF-ROAD 2WD option at all! :?

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sun May 16, 2010 10:59 am

I don't think I understand the reasoning behind a 2WD OFF ROAD package. I noticed that the OFF ROAD version offers Rancho performance off road shocks and special wheels as well as HSA andHDC.

I know that I've gotten stuck in my 4WD vehicles without any of the above mentioned goodies. How does the 2WD OFF ROAD fare off road?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun May 16, 2010 12:18 pm

SPICOLI wrote: How does the 2WD OFF ROAD fare off road?
In general terms (having both an 05 SE and an 05 SE OFF-ROAD 4WD in my garage), I would say that the 2WD SE OFF-ROAD would fall somewhere between the two.
The OFF-ROAD model stands a little taller, has more efficient off-road suspension, the skid plates are nice insurance, tires are more effective off road, and the Hill Start Assist is nice at times.
(On the 4WD OFF-ROAD, the Hill Decent Control is an excellent feature!!)
Thinking on it a little further, I guess for someone that doesn't need 4WD, it makes some sense :roll:, but not to me.
Seems silly to have all those features without 4WD capability.
It would be interesting to know what the difference in price was between the 2WD and the 4WD versions.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sun May 16, 2010 3:36 pm

I like all the extras with the OFF ROAD package. I wish I had them on my SE, but I love my 4x4. It has bailed me out of trouble a couple of times and helped me pull out some tree stumps on three occasions where a 2WD wouldn't do.
I'm also very interested in the price difference though.

I do like the look of the Toyota Prerunners and they are 2WD trucks with the 4X4 look.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sun May 16, 2010 8:56 pm

dryart wrote:It would be interesting to know what the difference in price was between the 2WD and the 4WD versions.
Go to page 2 of this thread and look at the chart I posted. Looks like a $2k difference between the two.

I also think it was a bit strange on their part to offer a 2wd off road model. Oh well, lots of front wheel drive only rally cars out there.

The hill start assist is fantastic, as is the hill descent control. The skids-big whoop, anybody can buy & install those. Same with the tires. Last but not least, the somewhat crappy OEM Rancho shocks, which are still pretty useless because all four springs are the same as the rest of the models. In other words, the stock suspension still wallows. To be honest, the only reason I got the SE-OR model is because nobody had any kind of aftermarket suspension at the time, so I figured it would be marginally better than the SE. Add in the little goodies like HSA & it was totally worth it.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun May 16, 2010 10:30 pm

NVSteve wrote:
Go to page 2 of this thread and look at the chart I posted. Looks like a $2k difference between the two.
Well worth it! All considered, it would cost far more than that to add all of the things that the 2WD doesn't come with.
NVSteve wrote:The hill start assist is fantastic, as is the hill descent control. The skids-big whoop, anybody can buy & install those. Same with the tires.
+1 on the HSA & HDC! I get a thrill at how the truck will walk itself down a steep, uneven trail with loose rocks, gravel & dirt, in a controlled manner, without so much as touching the brake pedal. :D
And it's nice that it came with the skids. They have already saved me $$$$. And if not for the OR model having them as standard equipment, one would have to drill & tap holes or install mounting brackets to install aftermarket skids.
And it's nice to not have to wait 40,000 miles to justify a new, upgraded set of tires.
NVSteve wrote:Last but not least, the somewhat crappy OEM Rancho shocks, which are still pretty useless because all four springs are the same as the rest of the models. In other words, the stock suspension still wallows.
Having both models gives me the opportunity to compare many things.
The shocks on my SE O-R 4WD are superior in every way to the shocks on my SE...............
Wallowing does not seem to be an issue for me, but that may be due to different driving habits & requirements.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon May 17, 2010 7:23 am

dryart wrote:Wallowing does not seem to be an issue for me, but that may be due to different driving habits & requirements.
With the OEM suspension, I could bottom it out at the drop of a dime. Driving over some steep dips on pavement, and pretty much every hole or streambed crossing offroad would bottom it out. My most vivid memory is driving at a pretty good clip offroad, then rounding a corner only to find one of those flash flood type channels crossing the road. Nothing big, maybe 1' or 2' across, but also about 1' deep. I was able to slow down a lot, but I still hit it pretty hard. Back suspension bottomed out immediately, then the rear of the PF bounced up in the air. The cooler in the back slammed into the roof. I've seen driven over far worse with the OME suspension and have yet to bottom out on anything. It's a huge change for the better.

skwerl

Postby skwerl » Mon May 17, 2010 9:19 am

I believe mine has the full skid plate...

I can't look at it right now but it covers everything across the front except the A arms and has a removable oil filter access. Wouldn't that be the upgraded skid plate?

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Tue May 18, 2010 9:09 am

pawjr74 wrote:I think I'll get some "Off Road" nameplates for mine once I lift it. Then there will be a fake SE Off Road 4X2. LOL!
I've thought about getting the off-road badges and put them on our LE 4x4.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”