Got new tires, OLD = Coopers NEW = REV02s

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Got new tires, OLD = Coopers NEW = REV02s

Postby disallow » Mon May 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Bit the bullet and got new rubber yesterday. The truck came with Cooper Discoverer ATRs. I've never been a fan of Coopers, they always seem to wear early, and in weird ways that make driving less enjoyable.

Picked up Bridgestone Dueller A/T REV02s, LT265/75/16s. Bought from Costco, total bill came to just over $1000 canadian including sales tax. They are E rated, and 10-ply tires. They are surprisingly forgiving right now, and very quiet. Will report back once I have about 5000mi on them.

The Coopers were pretty badly worn on the inside on the rears, but were cupped all around (fronts too). 1 or 2 of them had a wobble you could hear when driving on smooth pavement. Really annoyed the sh&%* out of me!

Some of the bad wear is obviously from bad shocks and perhaps alignment issues, so I will be sure to get that resolved over the next couple weeks. I have some Bilstein rear shocks to put on, but the bolts were too rusty last time I tried. I have a compressor and impact tools now, so hopefully I will have better luck.

Also saw the recent post by pawjr74 that showed his lift project, and the condition of the factory shock on the front. Looks like I should plan to do those ones too.

***EDIT***
Forgot to mention that they do rub on the mudflaps when turning sharply. Nothing serious, but worth noting.
Anyone else with some miles on their REV02s? Thoughts?

t

madrock

Postby madrock » Mon May 24, 2010 5:12 pm

I had a set on my Titan and absolutely loved them. I travel to Utah every winter, and they handled the snow just fine. The wore evenly and had very little road noise. My only gripe was that they wore waaaaaay too fast. I had for 15,000 miles, and I only had 4/16 left. That was the original Revo's. I heard they resolved that issue with the Revo 2's.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Mon May 24, 2010 7:05 pm

I have these on my Pathfinder and have nothing but good to say about them. Good wet, good dry, good in snow. I put them on my previous vehicle, a Jeep, and they were great there also so I followed suit on the Nissan as early as I could justify.

I'm probably at 15K miles at this point.

Did you say you are getting rub with these?

Anyway, look forward to winter on your Revos!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 24, 2010 7:10 pm

bbermann wrote: Did you say you are getting rub with these?
Yes, it seems the tire is catching on a tab sticking out from the mudflap.

Do you have the P or the LT version? (I have the LT E-rated 10 plys)

I'm wondering if there is a difference in diameter.

I circled what I think is the offending tab in red.

t

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Mon May 24, 2010 7:24 pm

I just picked up a set for off-roading. They are LT285/75-16 with about 60% tread on them. They are a bit noisier than my General Grabber AWs, but that is to be expected. They are a heavy duty truck tire compared to a passenger/suv tire. Also, with some previous wear on the set I have, I don't know how they were treated. Although they do not have any visible cupping or uneven tread wear. I'm sure you will be very happy with them. :D

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:38 am

I had both on my previous Tundra and the Revo's are better performers to some degree, but I chewed through both fairly quickly. The Cooper ATR's handled a little better on dry but weren't quite as good in the snow. I got about 25k miles out of both. Difference being the Revo's were $900 and the Coopers were $600. That truck really chewed up tires though. The OEM's were burned in less than 15k miles then switched to Revo's, then to the Coopers. I put a new set of Coopers on it and sold it at 65k miles. I think I'll try the Goodyear Fortera Tripletreads next on the PF. I've got the OEM Generals with 25k miles and I'll need to replace them for winter.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue May 25, 2010 6:43 am

skinny2 wrote:The Cooper ATR's handled a little better on dry but weren't quite as good in the snow.
I don't agree on the dry, I found they were pretty squirrelly on dry pavement, mostly due to the torque available from the pathy... In snow they seemed OK, but the ABLS kicked in alot. Overall, I was not impressed with these tires at all.
skinny2 wrote:Difference being the Revo's were $900 and the Coopers were $600.
I just priced out Coopers before I went to Costco for the REV02s, they were actually more expensive! $215 plus installation, whereas I got the REV02s for $205 plus install, and I get a $75 rebate in-store.

I was considering having the Cooper dealer do a pro-rata warranty claim due to the wear issues, but due to the cost, I decided just to move away from them entirely.

t

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue May 25, 2010 10:26 am

I've got the revos on mine as well, although they must be the non-2 version. I probably have ~20k+ miles on them & they are still holding up quite well. When new, they are totally quiet, but the outermost layer of rubber is a very soft compound that only gets worn away to reveal harder compounds underneath. Right now, with basically half my tread left, they are pretty noisy. I'd probably still buy them again, but there are a couple of new tires on the market I'd have to look at first.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:28 am

Well the Tundra handled a lot different than the PF (better in some ways, worse in others...) but I was very happy with the dry performance of the Coopers. Could be related to the suspension/wear issues you had on them.

There are some Cooper dealers that are just nuts or perhaps it's whatever distribution network they have there in Canada. My shop was $140 mounted on 265/65-17's plus tax. Coopers are an excellent value here and that's the point. If they're priced as high or higher than the big-name tires then it makes no sense.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 am

Thought I would update this thread. Its been over a week and about 1000km on the new tires. Have to say, I love em! So far, they are whisper quiet (MUCH quieter than the Coopers ever were, I can hear stuff I never heard before such as squeaks and rattles, etc). They handle great, and have taken everything thats been thrown at them including some very deep water, and water at highway speed (which I didn't even feel, and there was no hint of any hydroplaning).

I think I've figured out why it rubs on the mudflap in the front too. Only on one side, the other side seems fine. If you look at the diagram I posted earlier, there is a tab that sticks out, and that is what is rubbing. Upon further inspection, there were several pieces of gravel stuck behind this tab, which caused it to stick out more than it should. I removed the rocks, but it looks like its a little bent. I will either wait until it bends back by itself (its very stiff plastic, probaby would relax back to original position after a while) or put a heat gun on it to help it along.

In regards to rolling resistance, the REV02s are definitely higher than the Coopers were. For instance, when the truck is in D now, I need to push on the gas to move, whereas before I didn't. I think I am correctly assuming this is due to rolling resistance. Anyone disagree?

A related topic, the MPG seems similar, but a little lower. Understandable due to the heavier tires now being spun, I estimate about 10-15 lbs per tire, so about 40-65lbs of total unsprung weight added. Plus they have a larger diameter.

So now I have to decide the confusing question of what pressure to run these tires at. Thoughts?

t

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 am

Yes, heavier tire and more aggressive tread = extra rolling resistance. It's surprising how much that effects performance. How much larger diameter are we talking? Have you ever tried chalking the tires to get the psi just right?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 31, 2010 10:52 am

skinny2 wrote:Yes, heavier tire and more aggressive tread = extra rolling resistance. It's surprising how much that effects performance. How much larger diameter are we talking? Have you ever tried chalking the tires to get the psi just right?
The quick calculation for diameter difference:

OLD = 265mm x 70% / 25.4 x 2 + 16 = 30.61"

NEW = 265mm x 75% / 25.4 x 2 + 16 = 31.65"

Total diameter difference = 1.04"

The tread is also deeper on the REV02s, so that would need to be added on. I'll try and do an actual measurement today when I get home.

t

56nomad56

Loved my REVOs

Postby 56nomad56 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:14 am

Had them on my '04 Tundra DCab, but didn't have the truck too long after getting them, so can't comment on tire wear. Would have loved to get REVO 2s on our "new" '08 Pathfinder (bought two weeks ago), which came with brand new 265/65/17 H/T tires but from a manufacturer I had never heard of - the brand is Neptune - but wife was incredulous about replacing brand new tires with new tires so I had to go price conscious tire shopping.

So...discount tires gave us $100 for the Neptunes and we now have 265/70/17 Geolander A/T-S. OTD installed was $600. Not too bad, tires look good and are pretty quiet so far. Wife went outside and said, "These tires are HUGE!". Job well done I think to myself.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:38 pm

disallow wrote:
The quick calculation for diameter difference:

OLD = 265mm x 70% / 25.4 x 2 + 16 = 30.61"

NEW = 265mm x 75% / 25.4 x 2 + 16 = 31.65"

Total diameter difference = 1.04"

The tread is also deeper on the REV02s, so that would need to be added on. I'll try and do an actual measurement today when I get home.

t
I missed the part where you were upsizing. IIRC, the Revo's were a bit taller than most other same size tires as well so you may be getting rub that others with a 70 series don't get. The first set of Coopers I went to were the 265/70 and the 2nd set I went back to the 265/65. When I switched back to the 65's, I saved about 1mpg. The handling was better on the 65's as well since there was less sidewall. Tire rack usually lists the actual specs for tires (true outside diameter, etc.).

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”