Removing chrome tailgate piece

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

madrock

Removing chrome tailgate piece

Postby madrock » Sat May 29, 2010 10:11 pm

I saw a post referencing screws that hold the chrome tailgate piece on, but I can only locate the screws for the license plate light. Any tips on removing this piece? I want to spray it with bedliner, but if it is too much trouble to remove I'll just mask everything off and spray it while it is attached.

Thanks.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:58 pm

You have to get to the bolts from the back, theres a screw at the bottom right edge inside the handle thing, after that everything should just pop.

Hope this helps its pretty easy, not a hassle at all.

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Sun May 30, 2010 8:02 am

maybe a pic of where this bolt is located?

HRGames

Postby HRGames » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:45 pm

I took mine off due to rust issues on the tailgate.

The screw to take out is in the handle that you use to pull the door down- at the bottom right of the gate. Mine also had two screws in the emergency kit recess. The entire plastic inside liner then pops off.

From there you have four bolts to remove inside the gate. Then there were two snaps that held the chrome piece in before you can remove it.

The instructions I got had me remove the glass lifting arms and then the liner around the top inside of the gate, but that seemed to not matter on my 07.

ocdjg

Postby ocdjg » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:58 am

I'm actually going to be retrofitting LEDs in my license plate lights today and it requires me to remove the back panel. If you want I can take some pics of the process so you can see how to remove it. Let me know.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:47 am

ocdjg wrote:I'm actually going to be retrofitting LEDs in my license plate lights today and it requires me to remove the back panel. If you want I can take some pics of the process so you can see how to remove it. Let me know.
That would be great. I have to pull my chrome piece off to fix some rust that has formed at either corner. Apparently a known issue that only affects 05s and 06s.

t

madrock

Postby madrock » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:51 pm

As I began removing the back panel, I ended up having errands to run so I just taped everything off. I sanded and applied two coats of bedliner and it dried while I was running my errands. It has held up nicely through a couple automatic car washes.

HRGames

Postby HRGames » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:45 am

I have to pull my chrome piece off to fix some rust that has formed at either corner. Apparently a known issue that only affects 05s and 06s.
And 07s, apparently.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:08 am

HRGames wrote:
I have to pull my chrome piece off to fix some rust that has formed at either corner. Apparently a known issue that only affects 05s and 06s.
And 07s, apparently.
How annoying is that? I looked into the service history as well. Apparently this fix was already done, 3 years ago on my truck!

So I talked to the dealer, and since it has been done already, Nissan won't cover it anymore. Meh, I'm outta warranty already anyways. I have these 2 rust spots (I treated with Rust-Check already to prevent more spreading), and a spot on the rear wheel arch interior (looks like road damage).

Other than that, the paint seems to be holding up well.

t

HRGames

Postby HRGames » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:35 am

Yeah I don't get it. If this was a known issue, why did mine still have the bare chrome 'points' that dug into the paint? I have a little bubble on one side, but some touchup paint, sealer, and silicone on the chrome and you can't really see it.

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:51 am

disallow wrote:So I talked to the dealer, and since it has been done already, Nissan won't cover it anymore. Meh, I'm outta warranty already anyways. I have these 2 rust spots (I treated with Rust-Check already to prevent more spreading), and a spot on the rear wheel arch interior (looks like road damage).
Here in Norway we call that bullshit.. Mine has been fixed once for this and is going in for it again now. Warranty job not done good enough, so even if it's out of warranty, they have to fix it.

ocdjg

Postby ocdjg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:20 am

Sorry I completely spaced on those pics...I'll have some up and and a smal write up later.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”