My New Pathfinder vs. Landscaper

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

madrock

My New Pathfinder vs. Landscaper

Postby madrock » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:27 am

I try to be somewhat friendly to the environment by telecommuting to work (I know it's an oxymoron since I drive an SUV and a truck). I go to a park-and-ride and take an express bus to my office in downtown Phoenix.

I get off of the bus around 4:30PM yesterday and notice this big dent near my passenger side rain gutter (way too high to be a door ding). I also notice about 8 feet away a tree that had just been trimmed that same day. My only presumption is some idiot landscaper hired by the City of Phoenix dropped a very heavy object onto my new Pathy.

I just filed a claim with the City of Phoenix. Who knows how many weeks before I hear back. If they reject it, my comp deductible with Geico is $100. Pi$$ed doesn't even begin to describe how I am feeling right now.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:25 am

Bummer. The major problem i see is that this may leak when raining even after they may fix it if they can not get the sealing trim to line up just right. That sucks.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:22 am

wow that sucks. :shock:

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:35 am

It does not take much to make a dent up there. we were unloading the kayaks once and the wind blew after we unstrapped them and one rolled off of the roof putting a dent in the top up there behind the rear door. I hope things work out for you.

madrock

Postby madrock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:38 pm

I was inspecting the area more closely last night and noticed tree sap type residue in that area. It leads me to believe that they were cutting a good sized branch, dropped it on my rig, and walked off like they didn't know anything about it.

I took it to a higher end body shop last night, and they quoted me $600. Seems high to me but if the City is going to pay it...

I am tempted to fix it myself (err...try to fix it myself) using the dry ice method but I don't know if I should wait a couple more days? My OCD is kicking in, and I just want it fixed!!! :D

Skoozle

Postby Skoozle » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:04 pm

you gotta fight that. I would file a police report while the tree sap is still on the car. Make sure the police notes the tree sap in the report because it will have all washed away before you get this resolved. Good luck.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

:evil: I Hate Damage! :evil:
if you're going to pursue the claim, it would be better to not mess with the "evidence" or condition.
the tree sap is good evidence
if still possible, carefully document everything with pictures, preferably with a macro-lens or mode, especially the sap
$600.00 is not that high, especially around here (so-cal)
seems like the minimum to switch on the compressor is $500.00! :(
you might consider going through your insurance company, pay the deductable, and your insurance company might pursue the claim for re-imbursement and potentially recover your deductable as well :D
(it's called "subrogation")

madrock

Postby madrock » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:23 pm

The City of Phoenix rejected my claim. They said that there are two signs at say park at your own risk. That's funny because I have been parking there for two years, and I have never seen those signs until after the incident.

They did provide me with the number to the landscape company. When I contacted the owner and noted the tree sap residue, he told me in so many words that his company was not liable because the residue doesn't mean anything. And, he said he spoke to the security guard on duty, but the guard did not witness anything. I guess just because he didn't witness it, it didn't happen?

I called the City again asking for permission to access the footage from the security cameras. The City rejected my request saying the footage is for official business only. I tried asking the security guard, and he told me I was out of luck.

:evil:

I guess I'll file my claim with Geico with $100 out of pocket.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:19 pm

@ madrock

Come see me and you won't have to worry about the $100 deductible.

We do the work for a few of the Superstition Springs Dealerships. (Lexus/Toyota/Honda)

madrock

Postby madrock » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:19 am

I'll send you a PM.

madrock

Postby madrock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:17 am

I got my Pathy back from the repair shop on Friday. I had a limited window of opportunity to get it done because the high school my wife works at starts soon, and I could not be down one car with both of us working. I would have taken pawjr74 up on his offer, but I don't have rental coverage or else I would have driven the 40 miles out to his shop.

Overall, I was pleased with the repair. They didn't clean up the inside which I am not happy about, and it looks like they had to drive it from the dealership to the body shop because they put 40 miles on it :evil:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”