How to remove rear drive-shaft?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

slavabon

How to remove rear drive-shaft?

Postby slavabon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:48 pm

Hey guys,
I'm looking to get some pointers on removing the rear drive shaft, since its appearing to be out of balance. I may get it re-balanced it or replace it depending in what is going to be a quicker option. My question is regarding the mounting point on the front of the driveshaft where it goes in the transfer case. Does it just slip in there with no further securing methods? On the back side it is bolted to the flange on the pumkin, but on the front it is simply sticks into the transfer case. So do i just pull it out to remove it and stick it back in during re-assembly? No bolts, snap-rings of any sort are involved, right?

disallow
Site Admin

Re: How to remove rear drive-shaft?

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:20 am

slavabon wrote:Hey guys,
I'm looking to get some pointers on removing the rear drive shaft, since its appearing to be out of balance. I may get it re-balanced it or replace it depending in what is going to be a quicker option. My question is regarding the mounting point on the front of the driveshaft where it goes in the transfer case. Does it just slip in there with no further securing methods? On the back side it is bolted to the flange on the pumkin, but on the front it is simply sticks into the transfer case. So do i just pull it out to remove it and stick it back in during re-assembly? No bolts, snap-rings of any sort are involved, right?
4 bolts at the rear carrier, drop it, then pull out of the transmission. There is no real resistance, so I guess it just sits in there. Some fluid will probably come out of the trans, you should put a rag into the hole so dirt won't get in there.

So to answer your question, yes you are right! :)

t

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Should I expect a lot of fluid to come out? I will jack it up from the back, hopefully it will also minimize the leak. I suppose I can always re-fill it later as well.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:48 pm

slavabon wrote:Should I expect a lot of fluid to come out? I will jack it up from the back, hopefully it will also minimize the leak. I suppose I can always re-fill it later as well.
no shouldn't be much, but enough that you wanna stay outta the way and maybe have something there to catch what does come out.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”