Back from Zion National Park - P0442 Code

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

madrock

Back from Zion National Park - P0442 Code

Postby madrock » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 am

On my trip up to Zion National Park for a family reunion, I got the service engine light. I stopped at an Autozone to have the code diagnosed but I may have shown up at the wrong time. The lady behind the counter insisted that she run the OBDII reader, and when she got the code she only told me it was a problem with the EVAP system. She refused to clear the code and went back into the store.

Of course, I start researching on my iPhone with the little info I had, and I kept reading about the EVAP canister on the Pathy being cracked from rocks and costing $$$ to fix.

Driving up the road I found an O'Reilly's who had no issues letting me borrow their OBDII reader. The code came up as "P0442 - Evaporative System Malfunction, Small Leak." A quick look on the iPhone suggested replacing the gas cap so I went back into the store and picked up one. As soon as I told the guy what I needed, he asked, "Small leak in the EVAP system? The new cap should fix it." Sure enough it did!

On our way we went to Zion's...where I forgot to bring my camera :oops:

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Back from Zion National Park - P0442 Code

Postby disallow » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:28 am

madrock wrote:On my trip up to Zion National Park for a family reunion, I got the service engine light. I stopped at an Autozone to have the code diagnosed but I may have shown up at the wrong time. The lady behind the counter insisted that she run the OBDII reader, and when she got the code she only told me it was a problem with the EVAP system. She refused to clear the code and went back into the store.

Of course, I start researching on my iPhone with the little info I had, and I kept reading about the EVAP canister on the Pathy being cracked from rocks and costing $$$ to fix.

Driving up the road I found an O'Reilly's who had no issues letting me borrow their OBDII reader. The code came up as "P0442 - Evaporative System Malfunction, Small Leak." A quick look on the iPhone suggested replacing the gas cap so I went back into the store and picked up one. As soon as I told the guy what I needed, he asked, "Small leak in the EVAP system? The new cap should fix it." Sure enough it did!

On our way we went to Zion's...where I forgot to bring my camera :oops:
Tighten the gas cap... then it requires 3 start up/shut down cycles and the light will go off.

Very common. Could also be defective gas cap.

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”