OMG, Tranny Failed! Why????!!! 2005 (Oil + Coolant)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

djbit

OMG, Tranny Failed! Why????!!! 2005 (Oil + Coolant)

Postby djbit » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:39 pm

This can't be happening now. After dealing with the IPDM and fixing it on my own the tranny decides to give way (does not go into gear). I come here and find the tranny oil + coolant issue thread and sure enough I check the level stick and find a milk shake sludge on it.

What can I do? I can in no way afford to pay for this repair! It's our only car right now too. 105k Miles on the Path, and it is out of warranty.

What is your advice ? Should I try to flush it on my own...use cheaper tranny oil to flush it out and then use Nissan's over priced oil at the end and see what happens?

I took the tranny oil plug and not much oil came out. Maybe a a cup. I was expecting to see a milk shake as well but it was pretty normal looking??

I don't know if I should continue with anything or call the dealer and NNA to see what they can do for me? Jump on the class action law suit going around?

Man, I feel robbed.

:(

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:59 pm

I see a lot of people are doing drain and re-fills. IMO that is a waste of time and money. You are still leaving a lot of contaminated fluid in the transmission.

Obviously at this point you need to do the bypass, clean out the trans cooler in the radiator and cap off the radiator trans oil cooler so coolant won't leak out.

I would do a poor mans flush with the cheapest transmission fluid first, drive it for a bit and then do another poor mans flush with the Nissan "S" matic fluid.

(This link shows the poor mans flush...
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... 55&page=11 )

Start there...hopfully it's not too late.

You may want to check the coolant for contamination as well.

djbit

Postby djbit » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:11 pm

I will do just that this weekend and follow upYes, I will definitely check the coolant in the radiator and flush it as well. So much for enjoying this weekend. I really appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

paulohdz

Postby paulohdz » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:41 am

well I had the same problem happen last weekend. my tranny leaked all of the fluid out, I am in the process of getting the tranny rebuilt.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Cant stress enough to anyone with higher mileage.....do the trans bypass and use an external cooler!

djbit

Postby djbit » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:39 am

Can you tell me how much they quoted you for the rebuild?
paulohdz wrote:well I had the same problem happen last weekend. my tranny leaked all of the fluid out, I am in the process of getting the tranny rebuilt.

djbit

Postby djbit » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:46 am

Update: Did a flush on the tranny using cheap oil from first (if you call 3.44 a quart cheap). I bought 6. Anyways, I went to the dealer and bought 6 quarts of the Matic-S (70.00 bucks!).

Did the tranny flush as well as the cooler bypass and unfortunately it's a no go.

Initially it sort of worked. Did reverse and D just fine. Going up a hill the tranny disengaged. I had to turn off the car and restart it again then the gears engaged but this was random. It would work sometimes and not others. Luckily I made it back.

Now, I will have to see if I can buy a used tranny somewhere here is SD or have this rebuilt if possible. Dealer is out of the question, just can't afford it.

ergh

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:08 pm

What does nissan use for metal parts crapanium ? I have had radiator rust through , airbag sensors and A/C pipes rust through on a 2007 , this has been the wrst truck I have had in 35 years !
Maintenance makes no difference , I flush all the fluids every 2 years , seems to have made no dif , not impressed

paulohdz

Postby paulohdz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:08 am

I'm still waiting on an honest quote. Anywere from 900 to 1500.

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:03 pm

Budrbean wrote:Cant stress enough to anyone with higher mileage.....do the trans bypass and use an external cooler!

Do you mean bypass the engine radiator and just use the trans cooler mounted in front of the main rad , or an ANOTHER trans cooler to the already supplied trans cooler ?

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Buderbean is just using the stock cooler in front of the Radiator but he added a fan to the front of it, correct me if I'm wrong BB

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:23 pm

seeing as I haul a trailer 80% of the time aux fan on the cooler sounds reasonable .

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:45 pm

WheatBread wrote:Buderbean is just using the stock cooler in front of the Radiator but he added a fan to the front of it, correct me if I'm wrong BB
Thats correct. Mine has the factory towing package so it came with an external cooler. So yeah, Im just using that with a fan mounted on the front of it. If I ever do a lot of towing with it, I may add another cooler, or just a bigger one in place of the factory one. Right now, I run about 165 degrees in most driving and anywhere from 185-210 degrees in stop and go driving on a really hot day. Whatever you do, make sure you have a cooler before you do the bypass, if not, then definitely install one. If you bypass without it, you are definitely asking for heat failure.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:33 am

Budrbean wrote:
WheatBread wrote:Buderbean is just using the stock cooler in front of the Radiator but he added a fan to the front of it, correct me if I'm wrong BB
Thats correct. Mine has the factory towing package so it came with an external cooler. So yeah, Im just using that with a fan mounted on the front of it. If I ever do a lot of towing with it, I may add another cooler, or just a bigger one in place of the factory one. Right now, I run about 165 degrees in most driving and anywhere from 185-210 degrees in stop and go driving on a really hot day. Whatever you do, make sure you have a cooler before you do the bypass, if not, then definitely install one. If you bypass without it, you are definitely asking for heat failure.
All North American R51s have the air/oil cooler on the front.

kramer

Postby kramer » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:29 pm

^ correct

The Pathfinder already has an external cooler mounted by the radiator.

The transmission cooler inside the rad is a supplementary piece, and I suspect it has more to do with bringing the temperature UP in winter rather than DOWN in the summer.

But a bypass is an afterthought for the original poster, his transmission has already failed.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”