Gasket for Transfer Case/Differentials

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

madrock

Gasket for Transfer Case/Differentials

Postby madrock » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57 am

Where do you guys pick up the gaskets from? The dealer? Auto parts store? I checked with Courtesy, and they have them listed for $2.24 but the shipping is over $11!!

Has anyone reused the old gasket and had any issues with it leaking? I need to change the differential fluids along with the transfer case soon.

Thanks.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Gasket for Transfer Case/Differentials

Postby disallow » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:46 am

madrock wrote:Where do you guys pick up the gaskets from? The dealer? Auto parts store? I checked with Courtesy, and they have them listed for $2.24 but the shipping is over $11!!

Has anyone reused the old gasket and had any issues with it leaking? I need to change the differential fluids along with the transfer case soon.

Thanks.
Do you mean the copper washers? You can get them just about anywhere... Even the dealer would be cheaper than paying the shipping from Courtesy.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:47 am

:o is that their minimum shipping cost?
if you order some other stuff with the gaskets, you might be able to minimize the shipping cost.
maybe some filters (cabin, air, oil?).
or perhaps you could call them & see if they can mail the gaskets to you.
(postage would be minimal)

madrock

Postby madrock » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:17 am

I hoping to avoid the dealership but that may be my best option. I am going to pick up 7 quarts of Amsoil Universal ATF to do the drain/fill on the tranny and transfer case.

I am a believer of Amsoil.

asgard

Postby asgard » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:24 pm

You say that you are doing the transfer case and diff, then you say you are buying universal ATF and doing the trans and transfer.

The diffs are different oil to the transfer case and that is different to the transmission.

I might have misunderstood but I did my front and rear diffs with 75-90w synthetic, because I am in Canada they said Dexron 3 for transfer and J matic / superseded by s matic for the trans.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think universal ATF will be incorrect.

On the washer front I cleaned, checked and refitted - maybe foolish but no leaks - so far

madrock

Postby madrock » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:32 pm

asgard wrote:You say that you are doing the transfer case and diff, then you say you are buying universal ATF and doing the trans and transfer.

The diffs are different oil to the transfer case and that is different to the transmission.

I might have misunderstood but I did my front and rear diffs with 75-90w synthetic, because I am in Canada they said Dexron 3 for transfer and J matic / superseded by s matic for the trans.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think universal ATF will be incorrect.

On the washer front I cleaned, checked and refitted - maybe foolish but no leaks - so far
I need to change the differentials and the transfer case soon, but since I bought enough Amsoil Universal ATF, I can change the transfer case and the drain/fill the tranny at the same time. Amsoil is compatible with Nissan Matic D (transfer case) and Nissan J Matic (tranny). It could even be used to replace the power steering fluid as well.

When I get my bonus for the month I am going to order the Amsoil 75W-90 gear lube for the differentials.

asgard

Postby asgard » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:47 am

That Amsoil compatibility is good to know -- hope the bonus is more than a couple of quarts of gear oil.

Front diff fill is not the easiest, I tried with a short tube and eventually went long, if you don't have a length of pipe - pick one up it will save a lot of swearing and oil on the floor. Rear diff is a breeze

onseytote

Postby onseytote » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:22 pm

madrock wrote:I hoping to avoid the dealership but that may be my best option. I am going to pick up 7 quarts of Amsoil Universal ATF to do the drain/fill on the tranny and transfer case.

You're going to need all 7 quarts? I mean is it the accurate measurement?

madrock

Postby madrock » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:31 am

onseytote wrote:
madrock wrote:I hoping to avoid the dealership but that may be my best option. I am going to pick up 7 quarts of Amsoil Universal ATF to do the drain/fill on the tranny and transfer case.

You're going to need all 7 quarts? I mean is it the accurate measurement?
I took a bucket and filled it with a quart of water. I marked the spot with a Sharpie. I continued to do this until I got 10 quarts marked on the bucket. When I drained the tranny, it came up to the 4 quart indicator. I replaced it with 4 quarts of fresh ATF.

The transfer case is 2+ quarts of fluid. After draining it, I pumped in 2 full quarts. On the last quart, I kept pumping until it overflowed.

With spills, etc the 7 quarts turned out to be enough for what I needed to do.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”