Sliders installed

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Sliders installed

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:43 pm

As some of you know, I ran across a local company that sells 4x4 products, such as the ARB line, but also build their own rock sliders for sale. I was originally looking for a local business (Rocky Road Outfitters) where I could purchase the OME suspension & found these guys. I read the section about sliders and noticed that they will give you a free set if your vehicle isn't listed. Since the R51 Pathfinder wasn't listed, I set an appointment, dropped off the PF for 4 days & just picked it up today with a new set of sliders.

For those interested, here is their site: http://www.rocky-road.com/index2.html

They should be updating it shortly to include the sliders for the R51, and I'm guessing they will cost between $300-400, not including shipping.

Here are the Nissan step rails off my PF:

Lots of plastic! There must be a tiny amount of steel inside these things for mounting & rigidity, but overall they are simple a big wad of plastic.

Here are the supersliders installed, from marginally different angles:

It's really hard to tell in the photos, but there is a very thick square bar (made from hitch stock) that runs directly under the body, which is pretty flush with the sheet metal. Attached to that bar is a thick round bar that is bent at an upwards angle. Absolutely solid as can be. I can stand on the bar and reach the roof rack better than I could on the plastic steps, yet these don't stick out like the steps did. I've run into a few situations in the last 5 months that really made me cringe about crumpling something underneath. I seriously no longer have that fear. I almost want to hit something now. I've seen a ton of rock rails & nerf bars, yet these honestly have to be the strongest things I've ever run across.
Last edited by NVSteve on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:35 am

They really look nice but I don't think they are very practical.I rely on that step when I enter and exit and my foot barely fits on the OEM wide step,it would never fit on those.They have to suit your taste,not mine,just giving my two cents.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:33 am

Really? I have the base model with taller tires and made mention of putting on sidesteps and my girlfriend made fun of me and she's only 5'7".
Steve those look great, I'd be seriously tempted to try a rear end swap and a locked shortly after throwing those on. The only problem with mods like that is once you start I have a hard time drawing a line.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:44 pm

phantom2 wrote:They really look nice but I don't think they are very practical.I rely on that step when I enter and exit and my foot barely fits on the OEM wide step,it would never fit on those.They have to suit your taste,not mine,just giving my two cents.
I'm just the opposite with my opinion of the stock steps. The only complaint I had, aside from the sometimes bottoming out of the rear, is/was the sidesteps. Getting in the vehicle wasn't a problem because nobody used them as an entry assist. Getting out of the PF was a joke. My better half would cuss every time she got out of the PF because the step was always in the way. I felt the same, as did every passenger I've ever had in the car. The step is too high up and narrow to be used for exiting the vehicle, but wide enough that we would have to kind of stretch over it to the ground. I had planned on removing them until I saw the slider deal. I left them on for the company to use as a template. Anyway, I can fully understand that some people like steps, some don't. Unless my door is 3' off the ground, they are pointless to me.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Fofiddy wrote:Really? I have the base model with taller tires and made mention of putting on sidesteps and my girlfriend made fun of me and she's only 5'7".
Steve those look great, I'd be seriously tempted to try a rear end swap and a locked shortly after throwing those on. The only problem with mods like that is once you start I have a hard time drawing a line.
Once I get the OME installed, then some real tires, I'll pretty much be done. The only other thing I'd like is a small bullbar for the front. Some of the roads I drive on remote & very overgrown, so it would be nice to have something up front to knock down the stouter vegetation rather than the plastic front end. I don't want or need a full brushbar, just a simple bullbar, much like this one:

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subp ... ullbar.htm

I just don't know if I really want to give up the tow hook and approach angle though. Still not sure if I would do a locker or not. I've never had or needed one before, but I have run across some major slippage on a very easy section of trail in 4 LO. I absolutely felt like an idiot because of it, like it should not be happening whatsoever & everyone knew it. I'm hoping the OME and beefier tires will help with that, otherwise I might just contemplate dropping a substantial chunk of change for a locker.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:51 pm

Any idea what the price will be for the pair of sliders now that they've got all the specs and are ready for production?

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like they got the prices on the site. Sorry.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:17 am

G35TR wrote:Any idea what the price will be for the pair of sliders now that they've got all the specs and are ready for production?

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like they got the prices on the site. Sorry.
Geez, I just looked at their pages to find the price & found pictures of my Pathie. Oh well, it's a fair trade to mention my name, have pictures of my PF, yet give me free sliders.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:27 am

You definitely made out on that deal. They look perfect for what they need to do. Have fun using them to the fullest.

danny

Postby danny » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:36 pm

I instaled the weston tubed nerf bars on my pathfinder. Much better than the factory garbage.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:15 pm

danny wrote:I instaled the weston tubed nerf bars on my pathfinder. Much better than the factory garbage.
Pics??

danny

Postby danny » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:48 pm

[/img]Image

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Stopped by Lowe's yesterday and bought a roll of $10 grippy tape for the sliders. The texture is similar to very coarse sandpaper:

Here's a before shot of the slider on the passenger side. I always have to open the front door, then place my heel on the slider & my toes on the inside of the car to reach my kayaks.

Here's a shot with the tape applied:

I'm not holding my breath about how long they will last or how well they'll stand up to the heat, but I wouldn't mind even having to replace the tape every year or so. A few more pics:

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:50 am

nvsteve, that is a good idea. I'm amazed at how straight you were able to apply the tape. Even if it just lasts a season, i'm sure it's worth it. Then pull off the old rub some goo gone and start again.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:01 am

boogyman wrote:nvsteve, that is a good idea. I'm amazed at how straight you were able to apply the tape. Even if it just lasts a season, i'm sure it's worth it. Then pull off the old rub some goo gone and start again.
It was pretty easy. Each piece I applied was shorter than my arm span, so I just held it taught between both hands and set it down on the slider, then pressed it down with my hands. If anyone does this, wear gloves when pushing the tape firmly on the slider. I ended up with a few splinters of whatever that material is on both thumbs.

I had normally been exiting the PF by "sliding" my left leg against the slider, which really scraped up my leg this morning when I got to work :roll: . Hopefully I'll be able to train myself not to do that again.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:35 am

Your leg probably feels like my hands today, after changing the Air pump on the Saab this weekend. Tiny engine bay, make for scuffed up hands.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”