Rear hubs warm to touch when I get home

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Rear hubs warm to touch when I get home

Postby disallow » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Question for you pathy guys out there... How warm are your rear hubs after being on the highway for a while? Today I actually felt heat coming from the back tire, when I checked it out, it appears to be coming from the hubs. Not too hot to touch, but definitely warm.

Budrbean talked about changing his bearings a while ago, and we discovered that the bearings are in hub assemblies on both front and rear. Easy to replace, but expensive.

Ever since I got my REV02s, and with how quiet they are, I thought I might be hearing some bearing noise from the rear, but dismissed it.

Thoughts?

t

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:50 pm

I havent dug into the workings of mine yet, but I would think that there is quite a bit of heat on them. But my guess would be its mostly heat transfer from the brakes since they sit right against the rotors. I was putting new calipers on my brothers ford explorer the other day and was checking out his bearing hubs, it seems they arent as free spinning as one would think, but apparently thats normal. Just seems that everything would be more efficient of manufacturers would get the least amount of friction in this area as possible.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:24 pm

i concure with Bud.. if you ever think you have bearing failure, jack up the one side and spin the wheel by hand and listen for growling,etc.. and grab wheel and move back and forth,side to side motion to check for loosness.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”