Bilsteins or Air Bags?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

x2thez

Bilsteins or Air Bags?

Postby x2thez » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:09 am

I have read alot on here, and I have the rear bottoming issue that everyon has. I had the dealer put on new stock shocks, but same issue.

QUestion is, I have read that some just put bilsteins on the rear and it makes this issue go away?

I have also read about the airbags, my only fear is that it will then either ride rough or bouncy when empty due to the sub par shocks.

I am sure in a perfect world it would be to do both, but I would be curious your thoughts on this.

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:31 pm

I installed the bags at about 40k. They work great!

New shocks can't hurt either.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:05 am

I installed bags on mine too, but my stock rear shocks blew out after 20K @ 45,000 mi.. I did get real bouncy then, but I don't know if they blew cause of the bags or towing alot or both.

x2thez

Postby x2thez » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:16 am

The thing is though I haev brand new shocks on there, but they are OEM shocks.

I would rather just do one, either shocks or bags, but I want to make sure that if I do the air bags that it will ride well or not be super bouncy due to a sub par shock.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:10 am

I did the Bilsteins first and they did improve things but it wasn't as much of an improvement as I expected. I recently just did the airbags and they helped a little as well. Overall it still handles mediocre but the ride really hasn't changed much. It might be a little more harsh over very big bumps but it's still too floaty to suit me.

If I were in your shoes with brand new OEM shocks...I would do the airbags. If nothing else they clear up the "squatty butt" and are useful when hauling people/stuff. The Bilsteins are an improvement but $ for $ the airbags are a better investment.

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:36 am

Shocks wouldn't give to additional support that rear needs. Supporting the rear is still depended upon the springs. Shocks are dampeners. If you really want to stop the bottom out, airbag or something similar should be the way to go.

(I think there was someone who went for alternative choice to airbags... I do recall it was more expensive than airbags, but nonetheless it's another choice to support the weight of the pathy other than the airbags.)

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”