Front suspension lower ball joint.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

schmo9

Front suspension lower ball joint.

Postby schmo9 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Does anyone have a guide to remove/replace the lower ball joint on the lower wishbone without a total strip down.
Mine are needing done and I am more than capable of doing it, just wondering if anyone on here has done it or know of a guide.

I'll keep searching but if none exists I'll note down what I do and post when complete!

Cheers,

Simon

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:23 pm

If you go through the Nissan dealer, they only sell it with the lower control arm assy. I'm not sure if you can get only the ball joint from and after market source.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:33 pm

pawjr74 wrote:If you go through the Nissan dealer, they only sell it with the lower control arm assy. I'm not sure if you can get only the ball joint from and after market source.
Rockauto sells them separately.

Be careful when whacking them out and pressing in not to bend the control arm and throw off your alignment.

t

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:48 pm

disallow wrote:
pawjr74 wrote:If you go through the Nissan dealer, they only sell it with the lower control arm assy. I'm not sure if you can get only the ball joint from and after market source.
Rockauto sells them separately.

Be careful when whacking them out and pressing in not to bend the control arm and throw off your alignment.

t
I would personally get the alignment checked after replacing them anyway.

schmo9

Postby schmo9 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:52 pm

I can get them for about £60 each from ebay.
Thanks for the tip on removal/replace, will keep the hammer swing at half tilt....

Cheers guys

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:31 pm

I would personally get the alignment checked after replacing them anyway.[/quote] :arrow: I second this comment, get an alignment after you are done.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:44 pm

KEVSTER wrote:I would personally get the alignment checked after replacing them anyway. :arrow: I second this comment, get an alignment after you are done.
Though I agree that this would be good a time as any and probably best practice to get an alignment done when changing suspension components, changing a pressed in ball joint does not require an alignment. Bolted in ball joints yes (think 90ish to 00ish GM cars/minivans, they come riveted in from the factory and the replacements use bolts).

But if you bend the control arm too badly during removal or re-installation of the ball joint, the alignment probably wouldn't do any good anyways.

My 2 cents.

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”