need to get new tires

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mtbpath

need to get new tires

Postby mtbpath » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:36 pm

I know there are many post on tires.
but still can't decide on what to get.
basically, do I check the factory tires BF.
or go with something else.
this is Los Angeles driving, so streets/freeways.
I guess all season is safe.
I have 4x4 but don't do off road a lot. have done it but still prefer a all street tire.
list your recommendations.
keep in mind, price is important. I don't want to spend $200 for each.
must be compariable to factory.

THANKs.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:25 pm

Mine came with General Grabber AW's. They were a very good tire and handled well in the rain. They lasted over 50k miles and we did some mild off-roading with them. They will also be some of the lower priced without having to go with some off brand tire. I would have bought them again, but I wanted something with a little more aggressive tread.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 pm

I wonder if the state where the car was sold has different tires installed to go with the weather etc.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 am

Mine also came with the Grabbers. When I was shopping there seemed to be a mix of BF and Generals so my guess is they're built with whatever is being sourced at that time.

The Grabbers are a fairly low-end tire but they do ok. Mine are worn enough at 32k miles that I'll be swapping out before winter. They've lost quite a bit of wet traction over the last 5k-10k of wear. They were ok in snow but not pretty on ice.

I've bought quite a few Coopers in the past and I may consider them this time around. They're usually in the $600 range and the two tires I would consider are the ATR and the CTS. I had the ATR on my Tundra and was very pleased. It's a hybrid A/T highway tire with fairly low noise, good snow traction, and nice handling. The CTS is a highway tire and my in-laws replaced their factory Dunlop Grantrek AT20's (junk...that's what came on my Tundra originally) on their Lexus GX. I also work with a guy that put them on his Armada. Both have worn very well and they have a lot of praise for them.

If I don't go with one of those it will be a Michelin and the cost will be close to $1,000. I think I can get a lot more miles out of the Michelin...but the question is will it be enough to justify an extra $400!

thehumphries

Postby thehumphries » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:40 am

I am also going to be replacing my GB tires on my recently purchased 05 Pathy.

I have had the greatest experiences w/ Kumho tires on our Suzuki XL7, so I think i will be using them again.

Here is the link to the Highway Allseason tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... odClar=4wd

However for my area in Wis, I will be going with a slightly more rugged tire:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... odClar=4wd

Hope this helps!

Kami

Postby Kami » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:44 am

michelins LTX ms2

gona cost a bit more (30$ a tire) but so worth it!!

Shinyboy

Postby Shinyboy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:47 am

General Grabber HTS is topping most consumer reports for all season SUV tires right now.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Shinyboy wrote:General Grabber HTS is topping most consumer reports for all season SUV tires right now.
For the money, the Grabbers are hard to beat.

mtbpath, I assume you don't do much driving in the snow and ice around LA? That would be the only reason I would consider some of the higher end tires.

jbran

Tires

Postby jbran » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 pm

I just replaced my General Grabber AT's with Nitto Terra Grapplers and couldnt be happier - 700.00 for all four mounted and balanced.

richardekirby

Re: Tires

Postby richardekirby » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:16 pm

jbran wrote:I just replaced my General Grabber AT's with Nitto Terra Grapplers and couldnt be happier - 700.00 for all four mounted and balanced.
I like the Terra Grapplers too. Did you have the Grabber AT2's? What did you think of them? I was looking for them last month when I got new tires, but they were very hard to find.

I ended up going with Toyo Open Country ATs. I got them for $600 mounted and balanced. I've only had them on the street. I hope they perform as well on the trail.

jbran

Re: Tires

Postby jbran » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:19 pm

richardekirby wrote:
jbran wrote:I just replaced my General Grabber AT's with Nitto Terra Grapplers and couldnt be happier - 700.00 for all four mounted and balanced.
I like the Terra Grapplers too. Did you have the Grabber AT2's? What did you think of them? I was looking for them last month when I got new tires, but they were very hard to find.

I ended up going with Toyo Open Country ATs. I got them for $600 mounted and balanced. I've only had them on the street. I hope they perform as well on the trail.
Yes , I had the Grabber AT2's - and I cant complain about their performance in any type of weather (rain , mud , snow) - they were great and they lasted for over 40,000 miles , BUT - I constantly had to rotate them and play with tire pressure to keep them wearing somewhat evenly.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”