Rear bumper repair suggestions

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

mrfatboy

Rear bumper repair suggestions

Postby mrfatboy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:35 pm

I backed into tree stump in San Felipe over the summer. It seems like a costly mistake :( Does anybody have suggestions on how to fix this?

- Bumper repair?
- Buy bumper and have it painted? Prepaint?
- Just have body shop to all work?

I am a handy guy but I don't have the paint skills.

Can you buy these prepainted? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:36 pm

IIRC a whole new cover costs less than $350. Add to that the paint and there's your costs. I don't think you can repair those flexible bumpers when they have a hole like that in it.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:57 pm

with an estimate from a body shop, you can compare the difference in cost
the finish & gloss is sometimes better matched with the whole truck at the body shop

65Fastback

Postby 65Fastback » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:02 pm

That's an easy repair...

This is what a body shop will do...
1) Try to pop out the indention
2) If does not pop out, apply heat with heat gun (will melt paint) and pop it out, then spray hot surface with water to cool it down and contract to a stiff formation back in it's original shape while using a bondo spreader to form it.
3) For the hole, apply scrim mesh in the back (gauze material) and from the front apply 3M epoxy 2412 (I think is the epoxy, I forget the correct number, it's a plastic two part epoxy) and let hard, sand down, bondo over, sand, paint.

I know this because I did this before at a shop that let me work on my vehicle under their roof.

To do the hole, the bumper will have to be removed (I'm pretty sure). Bodyshops do this all the time. If you stop by some and tell them you know how they will do it, maybe they will not try to gauge you because you know it's easier that it seams.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”