Another Cooler Idea

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Budrbean

Another Cooler Idea

Postby Budrbean » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Sorry to start a new topic but didnt want this one to get lost in all the chat. For those concerned about bypassing the radiator because your fluid may not get up to temp in the winter....Check this out

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merch ... coolers-hd

Its a cooler that has a built-in bypass in the first two layers. When the fluid is thick and cold its bypasses the remaining fins of the cooler until it comes up to operating temp and thins out. BRILLIANT!!! I may invest in this myself, less than $100 for a good sized cooler. The same company also makes an inline bypass valve for about $30, another good idea for keeping the stock cooler.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I used a similar cooler made by Tekonsha on a Chevy 4x4 I had. It was 11 x 11 x 1.5. I never could tell that the bypass thing ever worked, as the whole cooler was always warm. However, it doesn't ever get below the 30's here, ever. Still, that was a really good cooler and I never smoked that transmission. That truck was off-roaded a lot.

Since this is in reference to the transmission your putting in, I'll just post this here. I've been told you should replace the cooler when you rebuild a tranny. I've personally seen a cooler get clogged on a Chevy that toasted its 700R4 in a similar manner as yours. He had a transmission gauge and couldn't figure out why the new transmission ran hotter than the old one. It was the cooler, which was a similar stacked plate style to the one we have on the PF.

Since you've done the bypass and you're in this situation, you might as well upgrade to a big honkin' cooler.

goblue90

Re: Another Cooler Idea

Postby goblue90 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Budrbean wrote:Sorry to start a new topic but didnt want this one to get lost in all the chat. For those concerned about bypassing the radiator because your fluid may not get up to temp in the winter....Check this out

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merch ... coolers-hd

Its a cooler that has a built-in bypass in the first two layers. When the fluid is thick and cold its bypasses the remaining fins of the cooler until it comes up to operating temp and thins out. BRILLIANT!!! I may invest in this myself, less than $100 for a good sized cooler. The same company also makes an inline bypass valve for about $30, another good idea for keeping the stock cooler.
B&M ATF supercoolers also have a similar design:

FEATURES
■ Stacked Plate design
■ All aluminum construction
■ Oven brazed construction
■ Small & efficient design

BENEFITS
■ Strong, durable cooler core
■ Lightweight cooler cores
■ Permanently bonds all mating surfaces
■ Cools fluid better than tube & fin coolers

■ Include installation kit
■ 3/4” Thin line coolers are ideal for tight fit locations
■ 3/8” extended nipple fittings providing improved hose & clamp contact

■ Cooler efficiency rating
● 70255 rated at 9,800 BTU
● 70268 rated at 13,000 BTU
● 70264 rated at 14,400 BTU
■ ‘LPD’ feature
● ‘LPD’ or Low Pressure Drop feature includes two bypass channels nearest the fittings to allow fluid to flow freely especially when cold to prevent lube system failure.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”